From: James Chapman <james@cs.ioc.ee>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] need feedback: bibTeX users?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:21:19 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Thierry,

I use it:

james$ bibtex --version
BibTeX 0.99d (TeX Live 2010/MacPorts 2010_0)
kpathsea version 6.0.0
Copyright 2010 Oren Patashnik.

In my area (roughly theoretical computer science I guess) LaTeX is a
necessity (I have to send the LaTeX source to the publisher) and
bibTeX is used by most people to manage their own references. Lots of
people include bibtex for their papers on their publications webpages
to make this easy. This is the only reliable source of bibtex,
'harvested' bibtex produces laughably bad results. However, I often
have to remove the bibtex file and inline the references for the
camera ready version of the paper. I'd say that bibtex is usually used
to manage a library of references that you accumulate over time. It's
not a necessity but an important convenience and one whose use is
widespread.

If you want to work at all you need LaTeX. If you want to work with
others you need bibTeX. You could do without it but nobody else is
prepared too. Trying to avoid either would be like refusing to use
email. When I say you I guess I mean me :)

Best wishes and keep up the good work!

James