* Re: [9fans] newbie boot question
       [not found] <11172182-9f43-4554-bba3-424d8cc32b5e@f25g2000yqc.googlegroups.co>
@ 2010-10-06 12:22 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-10-06 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have a problem with booting. I use the default boot option (tcp,
> local). When I boot as glenda, it seems that Plan 9 is trying to start
> 8 1/2 but Qemu crashes. When I boot as none, rc starts but I get
> errors about missing files such as /usr/none, /bin/lib, etc.

the errors when you log in as none are expected.

i imagine that when rio (8½ is retired) starts, the vga
mode setting code is where the problem is.

since you have a single-machine setup, you can log
in as none and add your own user.  after you run
/sys/lib/newuser, you can edit /usr/$newuser/lib/profile
to not start rio, which will allow you to experiment.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] newbie boot question
@ 2010-10-07  9:14   ` freeasinfreedom
From: freeasinfreedom @ 2010-10-07  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 6 Οκτ, 15:32, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > I have a problem with booting. I use the default boot option (tcp,
> > local). When I boot as glenda, it seems that Plan 9 is trying to start
> > 8 1/2 but Qemu crashes. When I boot as none, rc starts but I get
> > errors about missing files such as /usr/none, /bin/lib, etc.
>
> the errors when you log in as none are expected.
>
> i imagine that when rio (8½ is retired) starts, the vga
> mode setting code is where the problem is.
>
> since you have a single-machine setup, you can log
> in as none and add your own user.  after you run
> /sys/lib/newuser, you can edit /usr/$newuser/lib/profile
> to not start rio, which will allow you to experiment.
>
> - erik

Thanks erik,

It seems that there is a problem with the privileges of none, since I
cannot add a new user: http://www.2shared.com/photo/5k539pE_/QEMU.html

I found a nice user guide at http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
but it looks like most things mentioned depend on rio, right?

* Re: [9fans] newbie boot question
@ 2010-10-07  9:15   ` freeasinfreedom
From: freeasinfreedom @ 2010-10-07  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 6 Οκτ, 15:32, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > I have a problem with booting. I use the default boot option (tcp,
> > local). When I boot as glenda, it seems that Plan 9 is trying to start
> > 8 1/2 but Qemu crashes. When I boot as none, rc starts but I get
> > errors about missing files such as /usr/none, /bin/lib, etc.
>
> the errors when you log in as none are expected.
>
> i imagine that when rio (8½ is retired) starts, the vga
> mode setting code is where the problem is.
>
> since you have a single-machine setup, you can log
> in as none and add your own user.  after you run
> /sys/lib/newuser, you can edit /usr/$newuser/lib/profile
> to not start rio, which will allow you to experiment.
>
> - erik

Update: It's nice that the manual pages are on the web. Forcing the
vga controller with aux/vga –m vga –l worked so at least now I can
start rio, acme, same, etc.   :)

@ 2010-10-11  9:05 ` freeasinfreedom
From: freeasinfreedom @ 2010-10-11  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't have the privileges to add a new user with /sys/lib/newuser
when I log in as `none'. Also, I cannot edit edit /usr/glenda/lib/
profile to stop starting rio automatically until the time I'll fix the
vga problem. Any workarounds?

* Re: [9fans] newbie boot question
@ 2010-10-11  9:29   ` yy
From: yy @ 2010-10-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/10/11 freeasinfreedom <faifgnu@gmail.com>:
> I don't have the privileges to add a new user with /sys/lib/newuser
> when I log in as `none'. Also, I cannot edit edit /usr/glenda/lib/
> profile to stop starting rio automatically until the time I'll fix the
> vga problem. Any workarounds?

You can tell Plan 9 to not start the profile from the plan9.ini file
using the init variable, eg:

init=/386/init -m

will take you to a rc prompt. Once you are in rc you will probably want to run

. /rc/bin/termrc; home=/usr/$user

to have the same environment you have before running lib/profile.

--
- yiyus || JGL . 4l77.com

* [9fans] newbie boot question
@ 2010-10-06  8:45 freeasinfreedom
From: freeasinfreedom @ 2010-10-06  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I've followed the Qemu installation instructions found at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installing_Plan_9_on_Qemu/
(excluding the vga command, since I am not sure whether I can use it
when I boot as the user none).

I have a problem with booting. I use the default boot option (tcp,
local). When I boot as glenda, it seems that Plan 9 is trying to start
8 1/2 but Qemu crashes. When I boot as none, rc starts but I get
errors about missing files such as /usr/none, /bin/lib, etc.

PS: Is the right process to boot as glenda and set the monitor as
explained at http://www.nuxified.org/blog/noob_again_my_first_steps_in_plan_9
?