* [9fans] A new kind of Plan 9 FAQ
@ 2010-06-01  1:32 Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2010-06-01  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I recently made a fascinating archeological discovery:

http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/humour/shaneys-plan9-faq

Enjoy!

uriel

* Re: [9fans] A new kind of Plan 9 FAQ
@ 2010-06-01  1:42 ` Jorden M
From: Jorden M @ 2010-06-01  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uriel, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You spent an interesting evening recently with an FAQ, I see.

@ 2010-06-01  1:51 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2010-06-01  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uriel, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Uriel wrote:
> I recently made a fascinating archeological discovery:
>
> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/humour/shaneys-plan9-faq
>
> Enjoy!
>
> uriel

Well that certainly clears it up for me.

* Re: [9fans] A new kind of Plan 9 FAQ
@ 2010-06-01  2:17   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-06-01  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: uriel

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Martin Harriss <martin@princeton.edu>wrote:

> Uriel wrote:
>
>> I recently made a fascinating archeological discovery:
>>
>> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/humour/shaneys-plan9-faq
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> uriel
>>

> Well that certainly clears it up for me.
>
> Markov Chains for the win.

* [9fans]  A new kind of Plan 9 FAQ
@ 2010-06-01  2:39     ` Justin Jackson
From: Justin Jackson @ 2010-06-01  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's funny. I showed the Markov programs from Kernighan and Pike's
"Practice of Programming" to my students (just for fun, since it
wasn't a programming course), using text from Project Gutenberg. You
can get some really funny results with:

cat prideandpred dracula |markov |fmt
cat treasureisland frankenstein |markov |fmt

But the funniest came from mixing Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason"
with just about any other work, like the Wizard of Oz:

Dorothy's life became very sad as she said, "Follow me
and made it so rich in results, although it must be too
rashly drawn from it, and the mode of explanation and
exposition of the understanding.  This attempt to cognize
itself as a thing to be chimerical.  For only two cases are
possible; either, the counter-statement is nothing to do.
"Take out my straw and scatter it over the mess.  She then
swept it all that is to say, the senses and experience.

...or Pride and Prejudice:

Pray go to London," added Kitty.  "She is my youngest girl
but one.  My youngest of the understanding, has preposited
this permanence as a primal being, that cognition in this
way that would be in love with her head ached acutely.
Elizabeth did all she could not but take it.

-Justin