Consider what `stalin' does in about 3300 lines of Scheme > code. It translates R4RS scheme to C and takes a lot of time > doing so but the code is generates is blazingly fast. The > kind of globally optimized C code you or I wouldn't have the > patience to write. Or the ability to keep all that context in > one's head to do as good a job. Stalin compiles itself to > over 660K lines of C code! Then you give this C code to gcc > and it munches away for many minutes and finally dies on a > 2GB system! If gcc was capable of only doing peephole > optimizing, it would've been able to generate code much more > quickly and without need gigabytes of memory. > Ha! Just tried to compile Stalin on my 4G laptop... it quickly became a laptop fryer... OUCH! I might try 6c or 8c in a bit for comparison. -joe