From: Fernan Bolando <fernanbolando@mailc.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 8l follows a precedence based on the commandline arrangement
Date: Thu,  3 Mar 2011 08:51:23 +0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Greg Comeau <comeau@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <AANLkTi=JkUoRaK30rhSjKxbo0eU9varQqo7+pZhC4kVR@mail.gmail.com>,
> Fernan Bolando <fernanbolando@mailc.net> wrote:
>>just curious is it normal for 8l to follow some sort of precendence
>>based on the commandline? this being done through ape/pcc
>>
>>this is unable to build
>>8l -o spice -v /386/lib/ape/libf2c.a spice.8 unix.8 /386/lib/ape/libap.a
>>
>>this was able to build
>>8l -o spice -v spice.8 unix.8 /386/lib/ape/libf2c.a /386/lib/ape/libap.a
>
> 8l requires it to be mentioned/presented in order, and once it
> moves on from a library, requires still needed libraries to be repeatedly
> mentioned/presented even if "the same library" was already mentioned
> previously.  As per 8l "When scanning such libraries, the algorithm is
> to scan each library repeatedly until no new undefined symbols are picked up,
> then to start on the next library. Thus if library A needs B which
> needs A again, it may be necessary to mention A explicitly so it will
> be read a second time."  So your problem lib is probably having put
> libf2c.a first.
> --

yes, that was the problem after Charles pointed out to re-read the
manual. I did read it before posting :) my English comprehension is
probably sub par.

I seem to remember being able to place all the object files in
whatever order before, I guess this is the first time I actually hit
this so now i know.

thank you all