* [9fans] maintaining p9p
@ 2011-01-22 16:10 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-01-22 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

seems I really don't understand much presently.

The p9p install(1) says:
----
Once the system is built for the first time, it can be maintained and
rebuilt using mk(1). To rebuild individual commands or libraries, run
mk install and mk clean in the appropriate source directory (see
src(1)).
----

I use hg. So from time to time I do 'hg pull -u'. Now, it seems to be
always safe to run ./INSTALL from the top directory. This, however,
seems to build everything over again, probably unnecessarily. I
thought I'd call sth like 'mk install' from the top directory to build
only new/changed stuff. However there is no mkfile there. How should I
understand the cited?

Thanks!
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] maintaining p9p
@ 2011-01-22 16:20 ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2011-01-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2011/1/22 Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> seems I really don't understand much presently.
>
> The p9p install(1) says:
> ----
> Once the system is built for the first time, it can be maintained and
> rebuilt using mk(1). To rebuild individual commands or libraries, run
> mk install and mk clean in the appropriate source directory (see
> src(1)).
> ----
>
> I use hg. So from time to time I do 'hg pull -u'. Now, it seems to be
> always safe to run ./INSTALL from the top directory. This, however,
> seems to build everything over again, probably unnecessarily. I
> thought I'd call sth like 'mk install' from the top directory to build
> only new/changed stuff. However there is no mkfile there. How should I
> understand the cited?

I think the implication it is making is essentially that *you* need to
know what you want to rebuild. (Also worth noting that a full rebuild
is usually quite fast.)

Hope that clarifies things,

--dho

> Thanks!
> Ruda

* Re: [9fans] maintaining p9p
@ 2011-01-22 16:26 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-01-22 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:10:11 +0100 Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com>  wrote:

> I use hg. So from time to time I do 'hg pull -u'. Now, it seems to be
> always safe to run ./INSTALL from the top directory. This, however,
> seems to build everything over again, probably unnecessarily. I
> thought I'd call sth like 'mk install' from the top directory to build
> only new/changed stuff. However there is no mkfile there. How should I
> understand the cited?

cd $PLAN9/src
9 mk all && 9 mk install

* Re: [9fans] maintaining p9p