* [9fans] ethernet booting
@ 2010-08-01 21:52 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-08-01 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm booting over ethernet, using the basic 9load (not 9pxeload).
However, in /lib/ndb/local on my CPU server (where it downloads
9load), I can only specify

bootf=/386/9load

that is, I can't specify an INI file. I know the 9pxeload loader looks
in /cfg/pxe/<macaddr> to grab INI details; what can be done for
basic 9load? Is there some specification? Can I get it to download
the INI file as well, some how?

Thanks,
ak

* Re: [9fans] ethernet booting
@ 2010-08-01 22:28 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-08-01 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can I get it to download
> the INI file as well, some how?

I don't beleive so.

Normally the plan9.ini is be read from the same
device that 9load is loaded from.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] ethernet booting
@ 2010-08-01 23:05   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-08-01 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>> Can I get it to download
>> the INI file as well, some how?
>
> I don't beleive so.
>
> Normally the plan9.ini is be read from the same
> device that 9load is loaded from.

see /sys/src/boot/pc/load.c - the loader searches for plan9.ini
in various places; in the case of PXE, it even searches over
ethernet at /cfg/pxe/MAC. It would be enough if this case was
extended to the general loader, instead of just 9pxeload (what's
so special about that anyways?).

ak

* Re: [9fans] ethernet booting
@ 2010-08-01 23:38     ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-08-01 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The real problem here being that my 3com ethernet
card grabs 9pxeload (or so it seems) via BOOTP
and TFTP, but then can't run the damn thing.
The ROM has Managed PC Boot Agent (MBA) v4.32.
However, downloading and running 9load works
just fine.

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>>> Can I get it to download
>>> the INI file as well, some how?
>>
>> I don't beleive so.
>>
>> Normally the plan9.ini is be read from the same
>> device that 9load is loaded from.
>
> see /sys/src/boot/pc/load.c - the loader searches for plan9.ini
> in various places; in the case of PXE, it even searches over
> ethernet at /cfg/pxe/MAC. It would be enough if this case was
> extended to the general loader, instead of just 9pxeload (what's
> so special about that anyways?).
>

> ak

* Re: [9fans] ethernet booting
@ 2010-08-01 23:54       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-08-01 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ah, I got PXE to work - there is a special and hidden
configuration menu for the boot agent. The easter egg
was hidden at CTRL + ALT + B.

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Akshat Kumar