On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Duke Normandin wrote: > Just read: > > http://lsub.org/magic/man2html/1/0intro > > [quote] > Plan 9 is a distributed computing environment assembled from separate > machines acting as terminals, CPU servers, and file servers.[/quote] > > Does the above imply, that ideally Plan9 should be running on a LAN? > Not so good as the OS on a stand-alone box? > -- > Duke > > A lot of us with just one machine to spare tend to install the system, then build and configure a CPU/Auth/FS server on one box, or even just a VMWare or other virtualization instance. With plan 9 you do not have to run your CPU, authentication and file system parts of your computing system all in one place >From there we can log into our plan 9 server using unix programs like drawterm, or even 9vx, each of which are more or less ports of Plan 9 to other OSes with different pros and cons. With plan 9 you do not have to run your CPU, authentication and file system parts of your computing system all in one place, and really, you can just run a terminal and play around with that to get started if you like.