* [9fans] missing Greek letters in p9p troff
@ 2011-01-27 12:33 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-01-27 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

this is my perpetual problem.
Say I typeset my texts with

cat $stem.xref |9 pic|9 tbl|9 eqn|9 troff -ms|9 tr2post |9 psfonts >$stem.ps

in Plan9port. I can't achieve having Greek letters in the ps.

I read this
------------
That said, if somehow the contents of
/sys/lib/postscript/font ended up in $PLAN9/postscript/font,
troff and psfonts might not have missing characters.
------------

So I tried and copied...
But it didn't help. :(

Can somebody help? Or say what to check?
Thanks a lot for this.

Ruda

* Re: [9fans] missing Greek letters in p9p troff
@ 2011-01-28 15:23 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-01-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

now I know a bit more. 9 eqn seems to throw away my Greek letters for
some reason. Having a file with contents:

.EQ
aαb
.EN

i.e. a Greek letter between 'a' and 'b' in the math mode, produces,
9 eqn file

.EQ
.ds 11 "\f2a\^\^\^b\fP
.if 1m>\n(.v .ne 1m
.rn 11 10
\&\*(10
.EN
.lf 4

Can anybody comment?
Thanks again
Ruda

@ 2011-01-31 10:48   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-01-31 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

for the record:
I compared the result produced by p9p eqn and heirloom eqn (heqn).
With the source ('a')

.EQ
aαb
.EN
.EQ
a alpha b
.EN
.EQ
a \(*a b
.EN

p9p produces 3 different and heirloom 3 almost (but not completely)
identical results.
[It's a mess...]
I used
9 eqn a | 9 troff | 9 tr2post | 9 psfonts > b.ps
heqn a | 9 troff | 9 tr2post | 9 psfonts > b2.ps
The two attached .ps display this.

[-- Attachment #2: b.ps --]
[-- Type: application/postscript, Size: 50025 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: b2.ps --]
[-- Type: application/postscript, Size: 9373 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] missing Greek letters in p9p troff
@ 2011-02-04 20:44   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2011-02-04 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> now I know a bit more. 9 eqn seems to throw away my Greek letters for
> some reason. Having a file with contents:
>
> .EQ
> aαb
> .EN

Fixed.

Eqn was using the proposed standard functions mbtowc and wctomb
for processing multibyte character sequences and wide characters.
Unfortunately, those don't work in some places, such as your system
and mine.  (I am sure they would magically start working with the
right environment variable settings, but who has the time?)
I dropped in a UTF-8 implementation of those functions and
now eqn handles that input as you would expect.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] missing Greek letters in p9p troff
@ 2011-02-05 11:52     ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-02-05 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4 February 2011 21:44, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> .EQ
>> aαb
>> .EN
>
> Fixed.

Thanks!! It now works much better, at least for me :).
Now \(*a and α produce (at least visually) the same, which has been desirable.
P9p and plan9 works the same now.

(Still, however, 'alpha' is different from \(*a (or α), since it is
typeset in the current font rather than the italics, as would be
appropriate. But the same happens in plan9, too. Probably (?) it has
some historic context; nonetheless unfortunate.)

Perhaps one more thing. Using regular installation of p9p and the p9p
rio, I don't get e.g. α visible either in 9term or sam, although I see
it in acme. This is probably a font problem, which could be (??)
surmounted by using a different default font when rio gets started. Is
it so? Which one? (as I get it it must be an X11 font...).

Thanks !!

@ 2011-02-07 19:12       ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2011-02-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

p9p apps use plan9 bitmap fonts, not X11 ones.
An alternative font for rio may be specified on command line (-font )
or by setting $font environment variable (the latter shall apply for
most other libdraw apps).
Try font = $PLAN9/font/pelm/unicode.9.font or so.

--
- Yaroslav