On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > Even C has a runtime. Perhaps you should look more into how programming > > languages are implemented :-). C++ has one too, especially in the wake > of > > exceptions and such. > > really? what do you consider to be the c runtime? > i don't think that the asm goo that gets you to main > really counts as "runtime" and neither does the c > library, because neither implement language features. > > How about setting up stack space in the code for an operating system kernel? That's something you don't explicitly write in C that must be there somehow, for example in an operating system kernel. You end up changing that runtime bit and then all your C code has different stack space available. I suppose you could group that into the kernel's runtime, but since the operating system I'm thinking of is coded in C, that kind of line drawing seems silly ;-) I agree that C has a really really minimal need for any "help" to run on raw metal, but some level of support is still necessary. Dave > - erik > >