From: John Floren <john@jfloren.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 CPU server
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 02:05:52 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Nyan Htoo Tin <nyanhtootin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 1:22 am, j...@jfloren.net (John Floren) wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Nyan Htoo Tin <nyanhtoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all, I've successfully tried plan9 on qemu/virtualbox.
>> > But I don't understand what is CPU server that I usually saw in plan9
>> > doc/manual??
>> > I'd like to know details...link/pointer would be appreciated.
>>
>> > I've downloadedhttp://www.9gridchan.org/9grid_node_imgand used
>> > drawterm.
>> > But I have no idea how to connect from plan9 machine.
>> > Let's say after I've booted CPU server using this command
>> >  qemu -hda ventigridserver.qcow2.img -redir tcp:2567::567 -redir tcp:
>> > 17010::17010 -m 256
>>
>> > I could use drawterm. But How do I connect from another plan9 machine?
>> > I've tried cpu -h gridserver but not successful....
>>
>> I'm not sure about the 9gridchan images in particular, but if you're
>> trying to connect from another Plan 9 machine, *in general*, you want
>> to add some stuff to /lib/ndb/local. If your cpu/auth server is called
>> gridserver, the computer you want to connect *from* should have
>> entries something like this:
>>
>> auth=gridserver authdom=yourauthdomain
>>
>> sys=gridserver dom=gridserver.yourauthdomain ip=<its IP>
>>
>> Then you can do cpu -h gridserver.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> John
>
> After I start qemu with
>
>  qemu -hda ventigridserver.qcow2.img -redir tcp:2567::567 -redir tcp:
> 17010::17010 -m 256
> I start again this time with: qemu -hda ventigridserver.qcow2.img
> The one I want to connect *from* /lib/ndb/local file has these lines
> also:
> authdom=the9grid auth=gridserver
> sys=gridserver authdom=the9grid
>    auth=gridserver
> When I do cpu -h gridserver,
> cpu: can't dial: gridserver: cs: can't translate address: dns:
> resource does not exist
>
> Thanks for your help...

1. I really do not think it is a good idea to boot two instances of
qemu using the same hard disk
2. After you boot the second system (preferably by making a copy of
the disk image), try running "ip/ipconfig" and "ndb/dns -r" just for
kicks and giggles. Oh, and put an ip= field into your /lib/ndb/local,
in this case I think you might need it.

And then if that doesn't work, just use drawterm the way the site
recommends. It'll also make your qemu CPU server run faster.

John