From: Gregory Pavelcak <pavelcak@gmail.com>
To: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
Cc: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Ken's FS: WORM Superblock read failed
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 12:48:49 -0400	[thread overview]

I didn't try recover, but since the config I really want is a partitioned
one like you suggest, and the errors I reported didn't make anyone
immediately think "dying hard drive"; I think I'll try getting your (Erik's)
fs from contrib.

I assume I can do something like this:

Put the two hard drives destined to be on the file server on my existing
fossil-only machine (I have a hard drive with that somewhere from the last
few days of experimentation).

Diskpart and diskprep those drives with, for example, 9fat, cache, and worm
on the drive destined to be h0 on the server and 9fat, other and worm on h2.
Using some appropriate sizes (approx 10% of disk size going to cache and
other with h0."worm" and h2."worm" the same size for mirroring).

Put 9load, plan9.ini, a kernel from fs on h0.9fat (Something missing? I
guess I just want to emulate what pc/bootfloppy would do for me, but I want
to copy those things to h0.9fat.)

Move the disks to the file server, boot, watch everything come up just fine,
and config something like:
  filsys main cph0."cache"f{ph0."worm"h2."worm"}
  filsys dump o
  filsys other ph2."other"

I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know if I'm way off base here.
Otherwise, I'll probably give this a shot this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thanks.

Greg