* [9fans] upas/fs still modifying gmail inbox after window closed
@ 2011-02-01 17:31 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-02-01 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in plan 9: using upas/fs, i mounted my gmail inbox over imap, then
started acme.  at some point, the acme window disappeared.  newly
received messages in my gmail inbox continue to get marked as read
shortly after they arrive.  my assumption is that upas/fs is still
accessing the mailbox.  how can i prove (or disprove) this, and stop
it from happening?

-sl

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs still modifying gmail inbox after window closed
@ 2011-02-01 17:52 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-02-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Feb  1 12:32:34 EST 2011, stanley.lieber@gmail.com wrote:
> in plan 9: using upas/fs, i mounted my gmail inbox over imap, then
> started acme.  at some point, the acme window disappeared.  newly
> received messages in my gmail inbox continue to get marked as read
> shortly after they arrive.  my assumption is that upas/fs is still
> accessing the mailbox.  how can i prove (or disprove) this, and stop
> it from happening?

echo close mbox > /mail/fs/ctl

i don't know if nupas handles this correctly or not.  but i
seem to recall that it does.  it's a matter of issuing the right
imap command when you're fetching the message body for
internal use, rather than for viewing.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs still modifying gmail inbox after window closed
@ 2011-02-01 18:29   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-02-01 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:52 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Tue Feb  1 12:32:34 EST 2011, stanley.lieber@gmail.com wrote:
>> in plan 9: using upas/fs, i mounted my gmail inbox over imap, then
>> started acme.  at some point, the acme window disappeared.  newly
>> received messages in my gmail inbox continue to get marked as read
>> shortly after they arrive.  my assumption is that upas/fs is still
>> accessing the mailbox.  how can i prove (or disprove) this, and stop
>> it from happening?
>
> echo close mbox > /mail/fs/ctl
>
> i don't know if nupas handles this correctly or not.  but i
> seem to recall that it does.  it's a matter of issuing the right
> imap command when you're fetching the message body for
> internal use, rather than for viewing.

should this work even when my namespace doesn't reflect the gmail
mount? the rio window where i started upas/fs died and disappeared
(note: without my intervention) sometime last night. i can't find any
trace of the gmail messages on my system.

i sent the command above, but messages in my gmail inbox are
still getting marked as read a few seconds after they arrive.

in the future i'll try nupas.

thanks,

-sl