On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Mark Carter wrote: > I was reading the suckless.org website the other day, and they seemed > quite keen on Plan 9. I am running Linux. Is there a useful summary > document that explains where plan9port fits in with Glendix, and why > anyone should care about Plan 9 anyway (hope that doesn't come across > as rude)? > > Most of the people who can answer best are currently at the Plan 9 Workshop (http://www.iwp9.org/), so they'll doubtless chip in a wee bit later. Plan 9 is a research OS that has had a quite amazing impact on most other Unix type OSes. For example: UTF-8, process filesystem (generalised to "use a filesystem as a well defined abstraction mechanism"), recursive window systems (ie. a full windowing system inside a window, not 100% sure who did it first, but the Plan 9 one is amazingly consistent and so easy to use it makes others look clunky), and full historical filesystem (remember everything you ever did using snapshots). Plan 9 is not a polished end user OS! Robby