* [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 13:06 a
                   ` (20 more replies)
From: a @ 2021-03-23 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
release.

The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.

1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and
both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small
number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source,
but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially
the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license
is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects
using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license
on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if
you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think
most everyone will find preferable.

Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
"thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.

The historical releases are available right now at:
        https://p9f.org/dl/

You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
        https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/

Thank you for your time,
Anthony Sorace
Plan 9 Foundation

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 13:21 ` Sergey Zhilkin
                   ` (19 subsequent siblings)
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2021-03-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Great!!!

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 13:27   ` Robert Sherwood
From: Robert Sherwood @ 2021-03-23 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is fantastic news!

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 9:24 AM Sergey Zhilkin <szhilkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great!!!
>
> вт, 23 мар. 2021 г. в 16:07, <a@9srv.net>:
>
>> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
>> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
>> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
>> release.
>>
>> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
>> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
>> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
>> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.
>>
>> 1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and
>> both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small
>> number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source,
>> but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially
>> the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license
>> is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects
>> using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license
>> on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if
>> you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think
>> most everyone will find preferable.
>>
>> Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
>> "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
>> really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
>> weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
>> 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
>> this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
>> 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>>
>> The historical releases are available right now at:
>>         https://p9f.org/dl/
>>
>> You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>>
>> https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/
>>
>> Thank you for your time,
>> Anthony Sorace
>> Plan 9 Foundation
>

> --
> С наилучшими пожеланиями
> Жилкин Сергей
> With best regards
> Zhilkin Sergey
> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 13:36 ` baux
                   ` (18 subsequent siblings)
From: baux @ 2021-03-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

a@9srv.net writes:

> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.

That's sounds great!!!

thanks!

--
Maurizio Boriani
PGP key: 0xCC0FBF8F

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 14:11 ` Calvin Morrison
                   ` (17 subsequent siblings)
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2021-03-23 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Awesome! Congrats!

--
Calvin

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 14:17 ` tlaronde
                   ` (16 subsequent siblings)
From: tlaronde @ 2021-03-23 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 06:06:49AM -0700, a@9srv.net wrote:
> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.

That's real good news! Thank you to all who kept trying to get this
done!

I'm still convinced that there is a future for Plan9 derived
systems---and despite what happened to Coraid, in particular in the area
of file servers with WORM, deduplication of blocks and history of binary
files (there is a wild range of small to medium size businesses for
which this will cover a need that no offer, in terms of availability,
TCO or price, covers for now).

Best regards,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 15:05 ` Ethan Gardener
                   ` (15 subsequent siblings)
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2021-03-23 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021, at 1:06 PM, a@9srv.net wrote:
> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.
>
> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.

That's a cause for celebration! :D

> 1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and
> both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small
> number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source,
> but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially
> the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license
> is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects
> using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license
> on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if
> you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think
> most everyone will find preferable.
>
> Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
> "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
> really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
> weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
> 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
> this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
> 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>
> The historical releases are available right now at:
>         https://p9f.org/dl/
>
> You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>         https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Anthony Sorace
> Plan 9 Foundation

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 15:06 ` lego12239
                   ` (14 subsequent siblings)
From: lego12239 @ 2021-03-23 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 06:06:49AM -0700, a@9srv.net wrote:
> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.

Great!!!
Thanks!

--
Олег Неманов (Oleg Nemanov)

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 15:45 ` ori
                   ` (13 subsequent siblings)
From: ori @ 2021-03-23 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth a@9srv.net:
> Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
> "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
> really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
> weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
> 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
> this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
> 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>
> The historical releases are available right now at:
>         https://p9f.org/dl/
>
> You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>         https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/

Thanks for putting in the work -- it's much appreciated.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 15:54   ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2021-03-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Absolutely awesome.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:47 AM <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:

> Quoth a@9srv.net:
> > Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
> > "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
> > really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
> > weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
> > 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
> > this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
> > 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
> >
> > The historical releases are available right now at:
> >         https://p9f.org/dl/
> >
> > You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
> >         https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/
> >

> Thanks for putting in the work -- it's much appreciated.

--
Have a good day,

Marshall Conover

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 15:57     ` Elias Howell
From: Elias Howell @ 2021-03-23 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Very cool.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:54, Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Absolutely awesome.
>
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:47 AM <ori@eigenstate.org
> <mailto:ori@eigenstate.org>> wrote:
>>
>>  Quoth a@9srv.net <mailto:a@9srv.net>:
>>  > Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way
>> to say
>>  > "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations,
>> that's
>>  > really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if
>> it
>>  > weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at
>> the Plan
>>  > 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia
>> who made
>>  > this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and
>> the Plan
>>  > 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>>  >
>>  > The historical releases are available right now at:
>>  >         <https://p9f.org/dl/>
>>  >
>>  > You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>>  >
>> <https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/>
>>
>>  Thanks for putting in the work -- it's much appreciated.
>

> --
> Have a good day,
>
> Marshall Conover

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 16:14 ` Kurt H Maier
                   ` (12 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-03-23 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 06:06:49AM -0700, a@9srv.net wrote:
> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.
>
> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.

Good work, and good decision.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 16:34 ` Jim Manley
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Jim Manley @ 2021-03-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

“Planston, Planquility Base:  That’s one small step for a Plan, one giant
leap for Plankind!”

“Planquility Base, Planston:  Congratulations!  You’ve got a bunch of
Plansters about to turn blue down here!”

Jim  KJ7JHE

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 6:08 AM <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 16:44 ` Paul Ivanov
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Ivanov @ 2021-03-23 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How exciting! Congratualtions and thank you to all involved.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 6:08 AM <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> The historical releases are available right now at:
>         https://p9f.org/dl/

So much excitement, that the TLS gnomes can't seem to
keep up. If the above site is unreachable (like it is for me
at the moment), the plain old http version, without the s in
the protocol. http://p9f.org/dl/

--
                   _
                  / \

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 17:55 ` Øyvind Jensen via 9fans
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Øyvind Jensen via 9fans @ 2021-03-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Fantastic! I'm truly optimistic about this important move.

--
Øyvind Jensen
https://oyvind.kreativtrom.net

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
>
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
>
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
>
> release.
>
> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
>
> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
>
> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
>
> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.
>
> 1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and
>
> both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small
>
> number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source,
>
> but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially
>
> the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license
>
> is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects
>
> using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license
>
> on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if
>
> you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think
>
> most everyone will find preferable.
>
> Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
>
> "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
>
> really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
>
> weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
>
> 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
>
> this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
>
> 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>
> The historical releases are available right now at:
>
> https://p9f.org/dl/
>
> You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>
> https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Anthony Sorace
>
> Plan 9 Foundation

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 18:07 ` Russ Cox
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Russ Cox @ 2021-03-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Congratulations, and thank you for the effort this took!

Plan 9 under such a simple license is a day I never thought I would see.

Once I have had time to go through the details on my end,
I will update Plan 9 from User Space (plan9port) to match.

Best,
Russ

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 18:44   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2021-03-23 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It occurs to me I thanked everyone but those who did the actual work. To fix that: I no longer use Plan 9 every day, but I have a huge soft spot for it and I've long been aware of license issues including the complexities of changing a license, so I know it wasn't easy. Awesome work, people, well done! :D

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 19:13 ` Kurt H Maier
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-03-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 06:06:49AM -0700, a@9srv.net wrote:

> The historical releases are available right now at:
>         https://p9f.org/dl/

The 4e and 4e-latest tarballs are identical.  Is this intentional?

Thanks either way,
khm

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 19:13 ` Gorka Guardiola
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2021-03-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Really great work. Thanks for putting in the time to make this possible.

G.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 19:17 ` Philip Silva via 9fans
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Philip Silva via 9fans @ 2021-03-23 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Awesome!!!

@ 2021-03-23 19:28   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-03-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A huge Thank You has to go to the Bell Labs alumni who put their
support behind the reassignment of the license:

http://plan9foundation.org/activities.html

-Skip

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:08 AM Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> Congratulations, and thank you for the effort this took!
>
> Plan 9 under such a simple license is a day I never thought I would see.
>
> Once I have had time to go through the details on my end,
> I will update Plan 9 from User Space (plan9port) to match.
>
> Best,
> Russ
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (14 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 19:30 ` Bakul Shah
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Bakul Shah @ 2021-03-23 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mar 23, 2021, at 6:06 AM, a@9srv.net wrote:

> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.
>
> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.

Congratulations and many thanks to all involved for making this happen!

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 20:03   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2021-03-23 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The 4e and 4e-latest tarballs are identical.  Is this intentional?

This should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 20:15   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-03-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No. This was correct this morning. I'm looking into it; thanks for pointing it out.

@ 2021-03-23 20:23     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-03-23 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2021-03-23 21:13     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-03-23 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 09:03:58PM +0100, David du Colombier wrote:
> > The 4e and 4e-latest tarballs are identical.  Is this intentional?
>
> This should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting.

Thanks for the fix.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 21:31       ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2021-03-23 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Research Unix and a liberated Plan 9. Never thought I'd see the
day. Amazing.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-23 22:52         ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2021-03-23 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wao!
I don't have lawyer's opinion, however I can understant
the Plan9 comes to the state of all the Plan9 lovers.
Congraturations!!

>None of us would be talking about any of this if it
>weren't for the work done there for decades.

If we forget it, we'll lose everything, I think.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (15 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 22:59 ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2021-03-23 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 9:09 AM <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.
>
> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.
>
> 1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and
> both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small
> number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source,
> but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially
> the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license
> is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects
> using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license
> on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if
> you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think
> most everyone will find preferable.
>
> Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
> "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
> really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
> weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
> 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
> this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
> 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>
> The historical releases are available right now at:
>         https://p9f.org/dl/
>
> You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>         https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Anthony Sorace
> Plan 9 Foundation

Fantastic news. Thank you to everyone involved in making this happen.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (16 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 23:35 ` Devon H. O'Dell
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2021-03-23 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So happy to see this finally happened! Thanks for all the effort, and for
sticking with it!

--dho

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 06:08 <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.
>
> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.
>
> 1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and
> both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small
> number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source,
> but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially
> the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license
> is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects
> using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license
> on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if
> you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think
> most everyone will find preferable.
>
> Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
> "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
> really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
> weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
> 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
> this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
> 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>
> The historical releases are available right now at:
>         https://p9f.org/dl/
>
> You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>
> https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Anthony Sorace
> Plan 9 Foundation

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (17 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-23 23:55 ` Dave MacFarlane
From: Dave MacFarlane @ 2021-03-23 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wow, fantastic news! Congratulations!

Is there any way we can donate to the foundation (time or money) to keep
things moving along?

--
- Dave

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (18 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-24  2:55 ` Kyohei Kadota
From: Kyohei Kadota @ 2021-03-24  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Great news! Fantastic!

2021年3月23日(火) 22:07 <a@9srv.net>:

> We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of
> Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final
> release.
>
> The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation
> is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available
> under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they
> existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above.
>
> 1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and
> both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small
> number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source,
> but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially
> the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license
> is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects
> using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license
> on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if
> you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think
> most everyone will find preferable.
>
> Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say
> "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's
> really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it
> weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan
> 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made
> this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan
> 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful.
>
> The historical releases are available right now at:
>         https://p9f.org/dl/
>
> You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here:
>         https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Anthony Sorace
> Plan 9 Foundation

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (19 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-24  3:46 ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-03-24  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is simply amazing news!

Thanks to everyone who made it happen!

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Aaaand I can now get my bootleg 2nd Ed tarball from under the
floorboards ;-)

@ 2021-03-24  6:30   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2021-03-24  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Simply awesome!
Thanks much to all involved.

@ 2021-03-24 16:45   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2021-03-24 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On March 23, 2021, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> Once I have had time to go through the details on my end,
> I will update Plan 9 from User Space (plan9port) to match.

I've updated both plan9port and the Plan 9-derived Go libraries at
9fans.net/go to use the MIT license text. The Unix ports of utf, fmt,
regexp, bio, and mk at swtch.com/planport/unix are now MIT too.

For the record, anyone who has modified copies of plan9port or the Go
libraries is welcome to consider all earlier versions to be available
under the new MIT license as well for purposes of changing the license
carried by your forked copies.

At this point I believe I have excised all mention of the Lucent Public
License from all Plan 9-derived code I control, except for one
historical mention in the root plan9port LICENSE file. If you find
anything I missed, please mail me off-list (rsc@swtch.com).

Thanks!

Best,
Russ

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-24 18:07   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-03-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mar 23, 2021, at 16:55 , Dave MacFarlane <driusan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, fantastic news! Congratulations!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited

> Is there any way we can donate to the foundation (time or money) to keep things moving along?

Not at this time. We've still got a bit more to do with various bits of paperwork, registrations, and the like before we can do that. We'll let everyone know, don't worry. :-)

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-24 20:42     ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2021-03-24 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Congrats!

@ 2021-03-24 22:13       ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2021-03-24 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Congratulations to all involved. You have my utmost gratitude. Thank you.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-30 16:23         ` awkfan77 via 9fans
From: awkfan77 via 9fans @ 2021-03-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What about code contributed to Plan 9 by people outside Bell Labs, have all contributors agreed to have their contributions relicensed?

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-30 17:47           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-03-30 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The transfer announced at the beginning of this thread only applies to
the code that originated at Bell Labs (i.e. 1ed, 2ed, 3ed, 4ed, etc.)

Any enhancements made externally (e.g. tls1.2) or new programs and
systems (e.g. abacus) carry whatever the respective authors have
released them under.

@ 2021-03-30 19:17             ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-30 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The transfer announced at the beginning of this thread only applies to
> the code that originated at Bell Labs (i.e. 1ed, 2ed, 3ed, 4ed, etc.)
>
> Any enhancements made externally (e.g. tls1.2) or new programs and
> systems (e.g. abacus) carry whatever the respective authors have
> released them under.

I'm talking about things like the bcm kernel contributed by Richard Miller in the 4e-latest tarball, they weren't written at Bell Labs but were contributed back to Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31  8:30               ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-03-31  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm talking about things like the bcm kernel contributed by Richard Miller in the 4e-latest tarball, they weren't written at Bell Labs but were contributed back to Plan 9.

I would have thought any third party code in the /sys/src tree is considered
to be a "Contribution" as defined in the original Lucent license, and is
therefore covered by the new license without the need of a new agreement.

As regards the bcm kernel specifically, note that files in what's called
"4e-latest" are about 7 years out of date, and the currently maintained
source is in contrib/miller/9/bcm. That too is a "Contribution" and covered
by the new license. I hope this can be merged in to the ongoing p9f repository
if/when one is set up.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31  9:04                 ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > I'm talking about things like the bcm kernel contributed by Richard Miller in the 4e-latest tarball, they weren't written at Bell Labs but were contributed back to Plan 9.
>
> I would have thought any third party code in the /sys/src tree is considered
> to be a "Contribution" as defined in the original Lucent license, and is
> therefore covered by the new license without the need of a new agreement.
>
> As regards the bcm kernel specifically, note that files in what's called
> "4e-latest" are about 7 years out of date, and the currently maintained
> source is in contrib/miller/9/bcm. That too is a "Contribution" and covered
> by the new license. I hope this can be merged in to the ongoing p9f repository
> if/when one is set up.

The relevant part of the Lucent license is:
        LUCENT may publish new versions (including revisions) of this
        Agreement from time to time. Each new version of the Agreement will be
        given a distinguishing version number. The Program (including
        Contributions) may always be distributed subject to the version of the
        Agreement under which it was received. In addition, after a new
        version of the Agreement is published, Contributor may elect to
        distribute the Program (including its Contributions) under the new
        version. No one other than LUCENT has the right to modify this
        Agreement.

As I interpret it, we'd need Nokia to re-release Plan 9 under a Lucent
Public License version 1.03 which would be the MIT license for
contributions to be relicensed (if I'm interpreting it correctly the
GPL release of Plan 9 couldn't apply to contributions either.)

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 10:48                   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2021-03-31 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans" <9fans@9fans.net> wrote:

> As I interpret it, we'd need Nokia to re-release Plan 9 under a Lucent
> Public License version 1.03 which would be the MIT license for
> contributions to be relicensed (if I'm interpreting it correctly the
> GPL release of Plan 9 couldn't apply to contributions either.)

I Am Not A Lawyer, and I don't doubt that the P9 foundation can
get good lawyers.  But, once _ownership_ of the copyright was transferred
to the P9F, they can do what they want with it, including publishing
under the MIT license.  There should not be a need to involve Nokia
any further.

My two cents.

And apologies - I don't mean to start a long discussion about
licensing. I'd rather let P9F worry about it (and throw a few $$ at them
to help).  I suggest we all do the same. :-)

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 11:08                     ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > As I interpret it, we'd need Nokia to re-release Plan 9 under a Lucent
> > Public License version 1.03 which would be the MIT license for
> > contributions to be relicensed (if I'm interpreting it correctly the
> > GPL release of Plan 9 couldn't apply to contributions either.)
>
> I Am Not A Lawyer, and I don't doubt that the P9 foundation can
> get good lawyers.  But, once _ownership_ of the copyright was transferred
> to the P9F, they can do what they want with it, including publishing
> under the MIT license.  There should not be a need to involve Nokia
> any further.

The problem is Nokia doesn't own the contributions, so they can't transfer
them to the P9F, but the LPL says they have the right to update the LPL,
or was this right transferred to the P9F too?

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 15:33                       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2021-03-31 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The LPL is dead. It died when all the Plan 9 IP was transferred to the
foundation.

Nokia is out of the picture.

So let's realign this discussion a bit. The Plan 9 source formerly
owned by Nokia is owned by the foundation. That source is released
under the MIT license.

As for the inclusion of source not owned by the foundation, if that
source has a license (e.g. MIT) which allows other projects, including
the foundation's Plan 9 project,  to include it in a distribution or
repo, then that is ok. As per common practice, and up to the
discretion of the author, the files typically include a license header
and copyright notice.

I'm not understanding the issue here. This is all pretty settled
stuff: source code under one copyright and an MIT license which
includes other source code covered by a different copyright and an MIT
license.

ron

@ 2021-03-31 16:17                         ` G. David Butler
From: G. David Butler @ 2021-03-31 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The issue is ownership and grants. Not the code the foundation now owns and grants with a MIT license. It’s all the code that everyone is using. See the following email thread:

https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T755e5f03f61e4ad9-M2a5721b473ddb74b3c3d9503/9fans-is-the-vanilla-plan-9-still-alive

David

Sent from my phone. Please excuse misspellings and terseness.

@ 2021-03-31 16:27                         ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The LPL is dead. It died when all the Plan 9 IP was transferred to the
> foundation.
>
> Nokia is out of the picture.
>
> So let's realign this discussion a bit. The Plan 9 source formerly
> owned by Nokia is owned by the foundation. That source is released
> under the MIT license.
>
> As for the inclusion of source not owned by the foundation, if that
> source has a license (e.g. MIT) which allows other projects, including
> the foundation's Plan 9 project,  to include it in a distribution or
> repo, then that is ok. As per common practice, and up to the
> discretion of the author, the files typically include a license header
> and copyright notice.
>
> I'm not understanding the issue here. This is all pretty settled
> stuff: source code under one copyright and an MIT license which
> includes other source code covered by a different copyright and an MIT
> license.

The issue is that there is some code in Plan 9 not written at Bell Labs which
doesn't explicitly specify any license.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 16:32                           ` kvik
From: kvik @ 2021-03-31 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It’s all the code that everyone is using.
> The issue is that there is some code in Plan 9 not written at
> Bell Labs which doesn't explicitly specify any license.

What actual code are you reffering to?

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 16:36                             ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2021-03-31 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Seems to me that there is always going to be some non-zero risk of lawsuits
when making a change like this, but clearly the foundation was comfortable
with the risk. So what's the point of this discussion? Who are these
disgruntled contributors you are speaking on behalf of?

@ 2021-03-31 16:38                             ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > The issue is that there is some code in Plan 9 not written at
> > Bell Labs which doesn't explicitly specify any license.
>
> What actual code are you reffering to?

/sys/src/9/bcm, for example.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 16:40                               ` Robert Sherwood
From: Robert Sherwood @ 2021-03-31 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you are concerned about a contribution of yours that is present in one
of the recently released archives, you should take it up privately with the
foundation. If you are planning to use or create a commercial product, a
review with your attorneys is strongly suggested. Otherwise I don't see a
lot of value in the discussion.

@ 2021-03-31 16:42                               ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2021-03-31 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can this question be resolved by a source tree that depicts license by
path? In other words, if things are contributed outside of what the MIT
License would support, is that notated somewhere? This way, people with
these concerns can easily separate known from uncertain licensed objects?

Also, is there a notated list of each object and its owner, and whether the
owner/contributor has attributed a particular license to the object set?

@ 2021-03-31 16:42                           ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2021-03-31 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are you suggesting either getting an explicit permission from the authors or excising such code included in plan9?

I assume any code  in contrib/ has its author’s copyright unless there is an explicit copyright.

@ 2021-03-31 16:48                             ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I assume any code  in contrib/ has its author’s copyright unless there is an explicit copyright.

The code I'm talking about is in the Plan 9 tree, I've found
/sys/src/9/bcm/ as one example and I think there are probably more.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 17:00                               ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Everything up to and including the initial 4th edition release should be
fully MIT licensed because the old Plan 9 license gave Lucent unrestricted
rights to modifications.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 17:02                                 ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Everything up to and including the initial 4th edition release should be
> fully MIT licensed because the old Plan 9 license gave Lucent unrestricted
> rights to modifications.

Excluding things explicitly said otherwise.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 17:36                               ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2021-03-31 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Nobody is disgruntled (that we know about). The code under discussion
in Richard Miller's contributed bcm kernel.

Arnold

Jeremy Jackins <jeremyjackins@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems to me that there is always going to be some non-zero risk of lawsuits
> when making a change like this, but clearly the foundation was comfortable
> with the risk. So what's the point of this discussion? Who are these
> disgruntled contributors you are speaking on behalf of?
>
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 09:34, <kvik@a-b.xyz> wrote:
>
> > > It’s all the code that everyone is using.
> > > The issue is that there is some code in Plan 9 not written at
> > > Bell Labs which doesn't explicitly specify any license.
> >
> > What actual code are you reffering to?

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 17:44                                 ` John Floren
                                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: John Floren @ 2021-03-31 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Richard Miller being in this very thread, you could presumably get him
to say "I declare that the old bcm kernel found in the p9f code is OK
to be redistributed under the MIT license" and be done with it. Or
declare the opposite, and the p9f can remove the kernel from the
source.

As for what to do about a hypothetical patch rewriting a kernel
function that someone mailed to Bell Labs in 2003, well, I don't know.

john

@ 2021-03-31 18:16                                 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-03-31 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The code under discussion
> in Richard Miller's contributed bcm kernel.

The web page http://9p.io/sources/contrib/miller/9/bcm says
"Distributed under the MIT License" with a link to the p9f text.
Is that not explicit enough?

That's the whole bcm kernel (a superset of what appears in an earlier
state in the archive tarballs).

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:19                                   ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Richard Miller being in this very thread, you could presumably get him
> to say "I declare that the old bcm kernel found in the p9f code is OK
> to be redistributed under the MIT license" and be done with it. Or
> declare the opposite, and the p9f can remove the kernel from the
> source.

The bcm kernel was just an example, I think there are probably others.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:26                                   ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > The code under discussion
> > in Richard Miller's contributed bcm kernel.
>
> The web page http://9p.io/sources/contrib/miller/9/bcm says
> "Distributed under the MIT License" with a link to the p9f text.
> Is that not explicit enough?

the issue with that is AFAIK you didn't agree to have it distributed
under the MIT license, the website was updated by somebody else to say
it's under the MIT license after you put the bcm kernel there.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:31                                   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-03-31 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2021-03-31 18:33                                     ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I declare that the old bcm kernel found in the p9f code is OK
> to be redistributed under the MIT license.

Is the new one in your contrib directory OK to be redistributed under
the MIT license too?

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:41                                   ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> As for what to do about a hypothetical patch rewriting a kernel
> function that someone mailed to Bell Labs in 2003, well, I don't know.

https://groups.google.com/g/plan9changes has many examples of patches
contributed to Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:41                                       ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-03-31 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:
> > I declare that the old bcm kernel found in the p9f code is OK
> > to be redistributed under the MIT license.
>
> Is the new one in your contrib directory OK to be redistributed under
> the MIT license too?

Instead of cluttering the mailing list, can you go
through the list of applied patches, track down the
authors, mail them off list about whether they have
objections to having their code relicensed, and
forward their responses in one batch?

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:44                                         ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
                                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Instead of cluttering the mailing list, can you go
> through the list of applied patches, track down the
> authors, mail them off list about whether they have
> objections to having their code relicensed, and
> forward their responses in one batch?

It appears many patches were submitted anonymously, so that's not possible.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:46                                           ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-03-31 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:
> > Instead of cluttering the mailing list, can you go
> > through the list of applied patches, track down the
> > authors, mail them off list about whether they have
> > objections to having their code relicensed, and
> > forward their responses in one batch?
>
> It appears many patches were submitted anonymously, so that's not possible.

Happy to rewrite their code if they come forward
and object to the relicensing.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 18:48                                           ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-03-31 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:
> > Instead of cluttering the mailing list, can you go
> > through the list of applied patches, track down the
> > authors, mail them off list about whether they have
> > objections to having their code relicensed, and
> > forward their responses in one batch?
>
> It appears many patches were submitted anonymously, so that's not possible.

Also, when you hear back from the ones that were
submitted by known contributors, please feel free
to report back.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 19:36                                       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-03-31 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I declare that the old bcm kernel found in the p9f code is OK
>> to be redistributed under the MIT license.
> Is the new one in your contrib directory OK to be redistributed under
> the MIT license too?

That's what it says on the index webpage, and I know no reason to
believe otherwise.  I'm happy to confirm my permission for the bits
which I wrote.  I can't personally make a blanket declaration for the
whole collection because some files are from other contributors, but
it's my belief that all of it is covered by the MIT license -- as I
told you two days ago when you asked me the same question by e-mail.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 21:01                                           ` Shiro
From: Shiro @ 2021-03-31 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mar 31, 2021, at 11:44 AM, Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> wrote:
>
>> Instead of cluttering the mailing list, can you go
>> through the list of applied patches, track down the
>> authors, mail them off list about whether they have
>> objections to having their code relicensed, and
>> forward their responses in one batch?
>
> It appears many patches were submitted anonymously, so that's not possible.

Anonymous AWK Fan,

I believe you’re under a misapprehension about how copyrights and source ownership work.  You’re asking for solutions to problem that don’t exist.  Take the BCM code RM contributed to Plan 9, for instance.  Such contributions are considered a “gift” to the larger body of source code (hence the dir name “contrib”).  When ownership of the larger body of code changes, so too does the ownership of the contributed (or gifted) code.  RM did not need to further comment on the licensing agreement.

Please trust the P9 foundation and its attorneys until your own attorney articulates a reason for concern.

I’m not affiliated with the P9 foundation, just a very interested newcomer to the community and really don’t want to see this new found momentum mired down in nonsensical legal discussions.  Please.

Just my $0.02.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-03-31 21:26                                             ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-03-31 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anonymous AWK Fan,
>
> I believe you’re under a misapprehension about how copyrights and
> source ownership work.  You’re asking for solutions to problem that
> don’t exist.  Take the BCM code RM contributed to Plan 9, for instance.
> Such contributions are considered a “gift” to the larger body of
> source code (hence the dir name “contrib”).  When ownership of the
> larger body of code changes, so too does the ownership of the contributed
> (or gifted) code.  RM did not need to further comment on the licensing
> agreement.
>
> Please trust the P9 foundation and its attorneys until your own attorney
> articulates a reason for concern.

I'll ask the foundation about this.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-04-02 10:07                                             ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-04-02 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Considering Plan 9 has been relicensed under the GPL before without
permission from contributors and nobody said anything about needing
permission from contributors, I now think this relicensing is probably
fine.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-04-02 11:21                                               ` telephil9
From: telephil9 @ 2021-04-02 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank God you validated this.
We were all worried and even considering reverting the license change.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-04-15  7:24                                                 ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-04-15  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I believe if Nokia published a Lucent Public License Version 2 which
was identical to the P9F MIT license that would fully resolve the
issue of re-licensing of contributions because the LPL v1.02 allows
re-licensing to later versions of the LPL.

Anonymous AWK fan

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-04-15 16:55                                                   ` Calvin Morrison
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2021-04-15 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021, at 3:24 AM, Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans wrote:
> I believe if Nokia published a Lucent Public License Version 2 which
> was identical to the P9F MIT license that would fully resolve the
> issue of re-licensing of contributions because the LPL v1.02 allows
> re-licensing to later versions of the LPL.
>
> Anonymous AWK fan
>
> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription> Permalink <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tf20bce89ef96d4b6-M778c957485dda5ddb30daa28>

This text was generated by the GPT3 text generator using all licensing related threads in 9fans as input.

Calvin

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-04-15 18:43                                                     ` Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans
From: Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans @ 2021-04-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This text was generated by the GPT3 text generator using all licensing related threads in 9fans as input.

No it wasn't.

I'm concerned because only one contributor (Nokia) transferred copyright
of their contributions to the P9F which were then re-licensed,
but everyone seems to think this applies to all of Plan 9.

But the LPL allows re-licensing to new versions published by Nokia,
so all contributions could be re-licensed if Nokia updated the LPL.

Anonymous AWK fan

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-04-15 18:47                                                       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-04-15 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 2:44 PM Anonymous AWK fan via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
wrote:

> > This text was generated by the GPT3 text generator using all licensing
> related threads in 9fans as input.
>
> No it wasn't.
>
> I'm concerned because only one contributor (Nokia) transferred copyright
> of their contributions to the P9F which were then re-licensed,
> but everyone seems to think this applies to all of Plan 9.
>
> But the LPL allows re-licensing to new versions published by Nokia,
> so all contributions could be re-licensed if Nokia updated the LPL.

Your concerns are duly noted, but I don't think this is really the right
forum for them. Perhaps try to get in touch with the foundation directly?
9fans doesn't really have much control over this side of things.

        - Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Transfer of Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-04-15 19:12                                                         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-04-15 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For future reference, please email contact@p9f.org if you have any