* [9fans] point-to-point routes
@ 2008-12-01 16:53 gdiaz
From: gdiaz @ 2008-12-01 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello

how can i add a route to plan9 equivalent to this one from lunix?

route add default dev eth0

I've tried with:

ip/ipconfig -g ip ether /net/ether0 ip 255.255.255.255

and with

echo add 0 0 ip > /net/iproute

but i guess i should see a route in iproute with the flags 4ip. Because that way of adding routes just route the packets to itself instead of "dumping" them to the interface.

I will explain the set up so may be someone comes with a better solution.

I have linux box with vmware inside. I have a virtual plan9 on that vmware. The communication between the plan9 guest and the linux host is through vmnet1 (the host-only interface of vmware).

On the other hand, i have an ip address (just one ip) routed up to the linux box. (the linux box has another public ip for its own)

So i set up linux to do proxy-arp of that ip, then route it inside the linux to vmnet1 (to the plan9 guest).

I can see the packets going through vmnet1 from the linux side and in the plan9 side with snoopy. The plan9 side send return packets but the route points to itself, threating the packets as locals (i guess).

So I need a way to tell plan9 those packets are not local and should be delivered.

I guess someone with expereice in xen or lguess could give me a hand on this.

thanks!

gabi
PS. I can't use the bridge facility of vmware, because only one ethernet address should be exposed or the switch will block the machine.

* Re: [9fans] point-to-point routes
@ 2008-12-01 17:20 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-01 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ip/ipconfig -g ip ether /net/ether0 ip 255.255.255.255

don't you want something along the lines of (untested)

	ip/ipconfig -g $localip ether add /net/ether1 $localip /96

?  older versions of ipconfig are very bad at reporting errors,
so "ip" is probablly parsed as as the ip 0.0.0.0 (aka ::).

- erik

* Re: [9fans] point-to-point routes
@ 2008-12-01 22:53   ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2008-12-01 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

with ip i meant $ip sorry if that leaded to a confusion.

gabi