From: Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] unicode input for OSX-native drawterm
Date: Sun,  4 Nov 2007 01:24:42 -0600	[thread overview]

On Nov 3, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Tom Lieber wrote:

> On 11/3/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Carbon is still in Leopard.  Just built the latest native drawterm
>> using it like 5 minutes ago.
>
> Yes, it's just that its days have been numbered by Apple.

and like old OS 9, it's dead.. no longer being supported or going
anywhere.

That said, we're lucky that the current drawterm code in Carbon
behaves properly:  Apple does not support any GUI code or event loops
from Cocoa or Carbon in anything other than the main thread--and the
current Carbon port is a direct reflection of the X11 ports, which
let child threads create their own event loops to handle drawing: a
direct conflict w/ the current supported architecture for Carbon or
Cocoa.

I'd like to see a Cocoa front end that is launched as a separate
process.  Sure you take a bit of a hit on the pass-thru, but you can
then let the Cocoa event loop do it's odd things on top of Mach and
let drawterm and other code use the Plan 9 model.

jas