From: Michael Baldwin <mbaldwin@cibernet.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] dvorak
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:00:25 -0500	[thread overview]

> funny thing about dvorak keyboards.  they're based on bad science.
> mr dvorak knew what we wanted and fudged his data until he got it,
> but it was all bogus.  on the other had, the qwerty keyboard actually
> was tested quite a bit in the early days and came out on top.

yes that's one point of view promulgated by liebowitz and margolis which
has gotten repeated far and wide.  theirs isn't the only one:

http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/dvorak2.html
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/dissent.html

> dvoraks are no more efficient for typists than qwerty keyboards.
> the only good argument i've heard for using them is that, during the
> transition period, you tend to be a very slow typist and this may
> alleviate RSI.

well, it seems that the fastest typist in the world uses a dvorak
keyboard, so perhaps there is something to it:

http://sominfo.syr.edu/facstaff/dvorak/blackburn.html

then again, maybe that's just propaganda.

for those that play music keyboards especially and are used to
touch typing, it's not such a big deal to switch.  i was starting to
feel some strain in my wrists and that went away, and i do know
a couple who really did have RSI and switched because of it.  eh,
for me i was just curious.  i do find it amusing to watch people try
to type on my dvorakized keyboard however, so that's a benefit.

anybody know if you can pop the keycaps on the new powerbooks?
i did on my old one.  now that's even more fun: people look at the
keyboard and at first often don't notice, but then it starts to sink in
that Something is Very Different when they try to type.  anyway,
i am not sure how well attached the keycaps are on the new ones and
i don't want to damage it.  i touch type so it's just for the
aesthetics.