* [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14  2:38 Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-14  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello. I decided to set up my IMAP server (mail.mac.com) to see if I
could merely get email. So I did

	term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com
	... factotum junk ...
	username[pietro]: pietro10
	password:
	!
	term%

I then sent a sample email to myself and opened faces. Nothing. So I
tried again:

	term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com -m /n/mymail
	term% faces -m /n/mymail

Still nothing. mail also doesn't report "you have mail". But if I
traverse the /n/mymail directory myself, it works all right.

I haven't set up SMTP yet.

What's going on?

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14  2:46 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-11-14  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think faces expects upas/fs to be available on /n/mymail/mbox.
/n/mymail presents a directory of mailboxes.

typically one would start upas/fs on /mail/box/$user/mbox
and then add imap mboxes by
	; echo open /imap/mail.mac.com mymail>>/mail/fs/ctl &
	; faces -m/mail/box/mymbox

unfortunately, ned doesn't like to read mailboxes created this
way.  i'll put my version of ned up on sources.  i don't know
about acmemail.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14  2:55   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-14  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I started upas/fs with -b and your email showed up on stdout. I'm
still confused about faces :-( I'll wait for your ned.

PS - How do you get ned to download every email from a server? So
far, only 146 were received.

On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:46 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

> i think faces expects upas/fs to be available on /n/mymail/mbox.
> /n/mymail presents a directory of mailboxes.
>
> typically one would start upas/fs on /mail/box/$user/mbox
> and then add imap mboxes by
> 	; echo open /imap/mail.mac.com mymail>>/mail/fs/ctl &
> 	; faces -m/mail/box/mymbox
>
> unfortunately, ned doesn't like to read mailboxes created this
> way.  i'll put my version of ned up on sources.  i don't know
> about acmemail.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14  2:57     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-11-14  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you need to one more level to faces.  what you're missing is the
fact that upas/fs serves a *two* level directory the top level
contains the file "ctl" and one directory for each mbox.
faces wants an mbox directory -- the second level.

ned is on /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/ned.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14  8:57   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-11-14  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I hav run faces and upas/fs against imap before though not for some years,
I'm pretty sure it just worked. faces needs to run in the namespace
of upas/fs so it can access the mailbox (I start upasfs before rio in my profile.

these days I collect email from the work imap (MS exchange) server and feed it into
the plan9 email system so it gets appended to my mbox in a traditional manner.

I run this script from my profile

#!/bin/rc

rfork en

upas/fs -f /imaps/wmail.mywork.com/stevesimon
cd /mail/fs/mbox

while(){
	for (f in `{ls | grep '^[0-9]+' | sort -n}){
		upas/send -r inject!$user < $f/raw
		rm $f
	}
	sleep 60
}

and I added this line to my /mail/lib/rewrite

# deliver injected mail locally
inject!(.*)		>>		/mail/box/\1/mbox

as I said, faces and imap should just work and you get to keep your
email on your imap server. I did the above because I wanted to store
my email locally and have it backed up by venti :-)

Also I start faces with -s to show all email rather than just new stuff.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14 16:23     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-11-14 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have a bin/rc/riostart which is invoked when I (surprise!) start
rio. It contains the following lines (with the names changed) (upas/fs
is already run, without arguments, from my profile):
	echo -n 'open /imap/server1/anthony server1' > /mail/fs/ctl
	echo -n 'open /imap/server2/anthony server2' > /mail/fs/ctl
	mboxes=`{for (i in /mail/fs/*) {if (test -d $i) {echo -n '-m '$i}}}
	window 0,0,$b,115 faces -i $mboxes
The -m argument tells faces to pay attention to mail coming in to the
mailbox named by its argument, found in the upas/fs dir (by default
/mail/fs). It gets repeated for each open mailbox.

I run 'Mail server1' and 'Mail server2' manually in Acme when I want
to read the mail. That and the plumbing from faces work well.

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14 16:56 ` marina
From: marina @ 2007-11-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You will need to set up smtp in /lib/ndb/local and refresh the databases
in order to send mail. We use acme mail every day at work at it is a
pleasure compared to other mailers.

--- Marina Brown (tsygrl)

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

> Hello. I decided to set up my IMAP server (mail.mac.com) to see if I could
> merely get email. So I did
>
> 	term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com
> 	... factotum junk ...
> 	username[pietro]: pietro10
> 	password:
> 	!
> 	term%
>
> I then sent a sample email to myself and opened faces. Nothing. So I tried
> again:
>
> 	term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com -m /n/mymail
> 	term% faces -m /n/mymail
>
> Still nothing. mail also doesn't report "you have mail". But if I traverse
> the /n/mymail directory myself, it works all right.
>
> I haven't set up SMTP yet.
>
> What's going on?

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14 20:06       ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-14 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Your solution worked for me! Thanks! Now faces loads every email
message (annoying) and right-clicking doesn't do anything (even with
plumber running) and "Mail mail.mac.com" doesn't work from within
Acme (gives me a +Errors box saying "can't create /mail/box/pietro/
mail.mac.com)

@ 2007-11-14 20:15         ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-11-14 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/14/07, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> Your solution worked for me! Thanks!

// Now faces loads every email message...

That's just faces' -i flag. Leave it off if you don't want that.

// right-clicking doesn't do anything (even with plumber running)
// and "Mail mail.mac.com" doesn't work from within Acme

I suspect these are namespace issues. Keep in mind the per-process
namespace makes your order of operations very important. My first
guess is that acme was started in a namespace that doesn't have
upas/fs in it.

* Re: [9fans] Trouble with email
@ 2007-11-14 20:46           ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-14 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

And then when I sent myself another test email, faces without -i
doesn't update. Neither does faces with -i. :-(