* [9fans] Unintuitive mount behavior
@ 2013-04-09 20:56 a
From: a @ 2013-04-09 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This came up in #plan9, and I reduced it to this example:

	:; mkdir cat dog pig
	:; echo meow > cat/tabby
	:; echo woof > dog/mutt
	:; bind cat pig
	:; bind dog/mutt pig/tabby
	:; cat cat/tabby
	woof

That is not what I'd expect, and certainly not what the 9fan
originally asking the question expected. I presume this is
because the device and qid match, but can't track down
exactly where. Is this because the path from Qids, instead
of Chans, is being used in /sys/src/9/port/chan.c?

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Unintuitive mount behavior
@ 2013-04-09 21:05 ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2013-04-09 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 9, 2013, at 10:56 PM, a@9srv.net wrote:

> This came up in #plan9, and I reduced it to this example:
>
> 	:; mkdir cat dog pig
> 	:; echo meow > cat/tabby
> 	:; echo woof > dog/mutt
> 	:; bind cat pig

When you reach pig, you now jump to cat.

> 	:; bind dog/mutt pig/tabby

You resolve pig/tabby before the bind, which means
cat/tabbly because of the bind

> 	:; cat cat/tabby
> 	woof

And there your are.

That's unless I'm too sleepy, of course.

I had problems with mount tables because I came from unix.
Here they are just "jump here to there", but it's hard to assume,
at least to me, because it's too simple for what I'd expect, perhaps.