i would like a website where i could compare the labs, distro with 9front and 9atom. something like russ's plan9 history site. it wouldn't need to show stuff thats the same just the differences... just at the file level would do for a start. sadly i don't have the skills but maybe someone else will think such a thing would be useful. just idle thoughts from my sick bed. -Steve On 8 Jan 2013, at 11:24, Bence Fábián wrote: > Since there are a lot of code flow between 9front and 9atom (even sources, > however that's mostly one directional) I would argue that having the > forks even make things better. Erik and Cinap can experiment more > freely and all the changes are available for everyone. Even breaking > driver compatibility worth it, since the kernel is so small anyway. It is > fairly straightforward to change things. Plan9 is an excellent playground > as you put it. It's a good thing everyone can make their own. > > -bence > > > 2013/1/8 Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> >> > many drivers needed a rewrite anyway (like usb audio) because they >> > where a total mess. >> >> There are plenty of things in Plan 9 still in need of improvement >> or even rewriting. That's why it makes me sad to see our small >> community being made even smaller when some of the most skilled >> programmers direct their efforts into splintering off their own >> little playgrounds instead of helping to make Plan 9 better for >> everyone. >