* [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-05 17:21 EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-11-05 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9Fans-list

 Google just announced a code-in.  Is Plan9 participating?

   EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-05 19:23 ` Jacob Todd
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-11-05 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Code-in? Could you elaborate?
On Nov 5, 2010 1:22 PM, "EBo" <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:
> Google just announced a code-in. Is Plan9 participating?
>
> EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-05 20:00   ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2010-11-05 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

'Summer of code' for high school students?

Frankly, looking at its phrasing, it just looks like open-outsourcing
on a whole new level.

Nick

On 11/5/10, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com> wrote:
> Code-in? Could you elaborate?
> On Nov 5, 2010 1:22 PM, "EBo" <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:
>> Google just announced a code-in. Is Plan9 participating?
>>
>> EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-05 20:43     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-11-05 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Nov  5 16:06:59 EDT 2010, nicklaforge@gmail.com wrote:
> 'Summer of code' for high school students?
>
> Frankly, looking at its phrasing, it just looks like open-outsourcing
> on a whole new level.

i don't think that's accurate.  the tasks need to
be small enough and easy enough for a 12-17 year old
student to resonably get one done in a week.  it would be
much easier to just do these tasks oneself than to even
write up the task, let alone walk a student through the
problem-solving process.

so i see this as even more magnanimous than gsoc.
google is essentially putting money directly into education.

we're not participating this year for lack of time.  but if there are any
students who would like to participate, please contact me off list.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-05 21:27       ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2010-11-05 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i don't think that's accurate.  the tasks need to
> be small enough and easy enough for a 12-17 year old
> student to resonably get one done in a week.  it would be
> much easier to just do these tasks oneself than to even
> write up the task, let alone walk a student through the
> problem-solving process.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Nick

* Re: [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-05 22:47   ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-11-05 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Code-in? Could you elaborate?

 http://code.google.com/gci

   EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-05 22:51       ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-11-05 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i don't think that's accurate.  the tasks need to
> be small enough and easy enough for a 12-17 year old
> student to resonably get one done in a week.  it would be
> much easier to just do these tasks oneself than to even
> write up the task, let alone walk a student through the
> problem-solving process.
>
> so i see this as even more magnanimous than gsoc.
> google is essentially putting money directly into education.
>
> we're not participating this year for lack of time.  but if there are
> any
> students who would like to participate, please contact me off list.

 The only students I know of at the moment who have the skills are
 interested in robotics and code in C, but I have not been in contact
 with them for a year or two.  I'll talk to their parents about next
 year.

   EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Google code-in?
@ 2010-11-12 11:14   ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2010-11-12 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The compound 'code-in' follows the pattern of 'be-in' as in 'Human be-in.'
You can google that.

--On Friday, November 05, 2010 15:23 -0400 Jacob Todd