* [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23  0:00 Adriano Verardo
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all
I don'receive from the group since June.
I've changed my subscription, opened another gmail account (mail-dot-com
had problems),
contacted 9fans staff etc etc....
Could anyone kindly le me know about problems or whatever else reason why
9fans seems to be mute ?

Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23  0:14 ` Winston Kodogo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2016-08-23  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I personally have been technically dead for some time, but am still
receiving emails from the list, so the problem may be at your end. In which
case of course you won't see this. Bugger.

@ 2016-08-23  0:16 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-08-23  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it has been very quiet, but I am still here.

9front is more active these days.

-Steve

@ 2016-08-23  0:25   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-23  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you Steve, pleased to hear from you.
Really, my email accounts work (mail dot com too) .
And I've also received the 9fans subscription confirmation of changes.

adriano

@ 2016-08-23  0:29   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-23  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you Winston, pleased to hear from you.

@ 2016-08-23  2:14 ` Staven
From: Staven @ 2016-08-23  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We live, we die, we live again!

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23  5:30   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2016-08-23  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 02:14:54AM +0000, Staven wrote:
> We live, we die, we live again!

We simply sleep from time to time...
                     http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23  6:06     ` Andrew Nazarov
From: Andrew Nazarov @ 2016-08-23  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I thought the same, but yesterday I noticed that suddenly gmail has begun
to mark all the recent 9fans messages as spam. So, check out your Spam
folder, maybe you'll find something. There is a glimmer of life, not much
though)).

@ 2016-08-23  7:05       ` David Walther
From: David Walther @ 2016-08-23  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Computing is dead.  You killed it.  Plan9 couldn't survive.  It was too good.
Haskell is a pious fraud.  Rob Pike is our Pied Piper.  Like Saint Paul.

*mic drop*

Unix fills its niche.  Android added BeOS features to Linux.  What does Plan9
bring to the table other than 9fs (now ported to Linux)?

Last nighted I was tempted to boostrap my own FORTH implementation to create a
Lisp operating system.  Then the whiskey wore off.

FORTH and LISP have both been ported to Arduino.  Plan 9 is fun to program; how
to make it mainstream?  The brain is continually cudgeled over such concerns.

If BeOS and Plan9 were merged to run on top of the Linux kernel, what would it
look like?  And if a tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear it?

Is there a problem for which Plan9 is the best solution?  Pure Programmer
Satisfaction doesn't pay the mortgage.

David

@ 2016-08-23  7:54   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-08-23  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Aug 22, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Staven <staven@staven.pl> wrote:

> We live, we die, we live again!

Tell me about it!

Coraid lived, Coraid died, now Coraid lives again.

And is shipping Plan 9 still. Over my objections the attempt to replace Plan 9 with another OS ended Coraid, Inc. Now, SouthSuite, Inc. has the Coraid trademark and technology (the Plan 9 stuff). Seems Plan 9 won. http://coraid.com

  Brantley

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23  9:01       ` Costin Chirvasuta
From: Costin Chirvasuta @ 2016-08-23  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Andrew Nazarov
<andrew.nazarov.intres@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the same, but yesterday I noticed that suddenly gmail has begun to
> mark all the recent 9fans messages as spam.

Same here. Only about 4 messages though (each from a different
person). A few others got through.

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23  9:46         ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2016-08-23  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:01:48PM +0300, Costin Chirvasuta wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Andrew Nazarov
> <andrew.nazarov.intres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I thought the same, but yesterday I noticed that suddenly gmail has begun to
> > mark all the recent 9fans messages as spam.
>
> Same here. Only about 4 messages though (each from a different
> person). A few others got through.

I'm not using gmail and the list has been quiet for some weeks. But it
is general in August altogether with whatever list.
                     http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 11:56           ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-08-23 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Join us at the google retreat.

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 12:39           ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-23 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

tlaronde@polynum.com wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:01:48PM +0300, Costin Chirvasuta wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Andrew Nazarov
>> <andrew.nazarov.intres@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I thought the same, but yesterday I noticed that suddenly gmail has begun to
>>> mark all the recent 9fans messages as spam.
>> Same here. Only about 4 messages though (each from a different
>> person). A few others got through.
> I'm not using gmail and the list has been quiet for some weeks. But it
> is general in August altogether with whatever list.
Yes, but not in June/July and all around the world.
Sent just to see if this message reaches the list.
I should have it back in my inbox in a few minutes.
adriano

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 14:00             ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2016-08-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 23/08/16 13:39, Adriano Verardo wrote:
> Yes, but not in June/July and all around the world.
> Sent just to see if this message reaches the list.
Your message definitely has reached the list ... whether it gets back to
you is another matter!

I see from the archive (http://marc.info/?l=9fans) there were no
messages at all in June, maybe everyone was tired out after the 203
messages in May?

Cheers,
Peter

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 14:21               ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2016-08-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I see from the archive (http://marc.info/?l=9fans) there were no messages at
> all in June, maybe everyone was tired out after the 203 messages in May?

The 9fans mailing list was down from approximately June 1 to July 25.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 17:52                 ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2016-08-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Plan 9 shall never die.

@ 2016-08-23 18:06                   ` stanley lieber
From: stanley lieber @ 2016-08-23 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:

>Plan 9 shall never die.
>

>On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 8:21 AM, David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> > I see from the archive (http://marc.info/?l=9fans) there were no
>> messages at
>> > all in June, maybe everyone was tired out after the 203 messages in
>May?
>>
>> The 9fans mailing list was down from approximately June 1 to July 25.
>>
>> --
>> David du Colombier

People just stop using it.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 18:11                     ` Brantley Coile
                                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-08-23 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We haven’t stopped using it, but then again, we don’t talk much on the list.

I’ve been using Plan 9 since 1995, before that I only used it at the Labs. I’ll be using it when I assume room temperature.

We still run Ken’s file server that Erik modified into a diskless file server using our AoE appliances behind it. I develop on Plan 9 exclusively. And we use it as a distributed operating system running on about a dozen machines.

I suspect that we might the be only ones.

  Brantley

> On Aug 23, 2016, at 2:06 PM, stanley lieber <sl@9front.org> wrote:
>
> Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Plan 9 shall never die.

>>> messages at
>> May?
>>>
>>> The 9fans mailing list was down from approximately June 1 to July 25.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David du Colombier
>>>

> People just stop using it.
>
> sl

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 18:29                       ` stanley lieber
                                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: stanley lieber @ 2016-08-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brantley Coile <brantleycoile@me.com> wrote:

>We haven’t stopped using it, but then again, we don’t talk much on the
>list.
>
>I’ve been using Plan 9 since 1995, before that I only used it at the
>Labs. I’ll be using it when I assume room temperature.
>
>We still run Ken’s file server that Erik modified into a diskless file
>server using our AoE appliances behind it. I develop on Plan 9
>exclusively. And we use it as a distributed operating system running on
>about a dozen machines.
>
>I suspect that we might the be only ones.
>
>  Brantley
>
>> On Aug 23, 2016, at 2:06 PM, stanley lieber <sl@9front.org> wrote:
>>
>> Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Plan 9 shall never die.
>>>

>>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 8:21 AM, David du Colombier
><0intro@gmail.com>

>in
>>> May?

>25.

>> People just stop using it.
>>
>> sl

I meant the people busy not posting on this mailing list. I run Plan 9 on my personal workstation, and we serve all the 9front stuff (file shares, mailing lists, websites -- everything but the mercurial repository) from Plan 9.

The culture of this mailing list has always been running UNIX and sometimes talking about Plan 9. First because Plan 9 was not generally available, and now because macbooks and the web. Even the authors of Plan 9 quit research to build websites for a living. They declared a Plan 9 free zone in their own computing lives over a decade ago.

To be fair, many people need to do things at a given moment that Plan 9 cannot be made to do without undertaking an enormous and likely futile effort. One of the reasons the project stalled is that it is too difficult to keep up with the demands of the outside world.

I agree, it sucks.

Are you hiring, by any chance?

sl

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 18:29                       ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-08-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well someone Runed plan9.
UFans

On Aug 23, 2016 11:14 AM, "Brantley Coile" <brantleycoile@me.com> wrote:

> We haven’t stopped using it, but then again, we don’t talk much on the
> list.
>
> I’ve been using Plan 9 since 1995, before that I only used it at the Labs.
> I’ll be using it when I assume room temperature.
>
> We still run Ken’s file server that Erik modified into a diskless file
> server using our AoE appliances behind it. I develop on Plan 9 exclusively.
> And we use it as a distributed operating system running on about a dozen
> machines.
>
> I suspect that we might the be only ones.
>
>   Brantley
>
> > On Aug 23, 2016, at 2:06 PM, stanley lieber <sl@9front.org> wrote:
> >
> > Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Plan 9 shall never die.

> >> May?

> > People just stop using it.
> >
> > sl

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-08-23 19:26 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-23 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9fans.net is a free service provided/managed by Russ for the community. It was
offline for a little while; it looks like it was going through an update
and/or change of hosting environment.

as a 9fan, I can say, not dead yet. In fact the population of 9fans in my
neighborhood has doubled.

-Skip

@ 2016-08-23 19:32   ` stanley lieber
From: stanley lieber @ 2016-08-23 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:

> In fact the population of 9fans in
>my
>neighborhood has doubled.

Shades of damned lies and statistics?

sl

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 19:51                       ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-23 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brantley Coile wrote:
> We haven’t stopped using it, but then again, we don’t talk much on the list.
>
> I’ve been using Plan 9 since 1995, before that I only used it at the Labs. I’ll be using it when I assume room temperature.
>
> We still run Ken’s file server that Erik modified into a diskless file server using our AoE appliances behind it. I develop on Plan 9 exclusively. And we use it as a distributed operating system running on about a dozen machines.
>
> I suspect that we might the be only ones.
No, I use Plan9 at home since the first public distro, and since 2007 on
production plant.
... I'm sure I'm the only professional using Plan9 in Italy
I don't know about non-professional italian users.

In 2005  I tried to  attract the attention of some academic friends, because
I think that Plan9 could be very suited for distributed appls on many small
machines on a slow net.
Some robotic appl have this characteristcs etc etc.
No response from the University where I graduated 30+ years ago,
no Prof Ballestero's great work appreciation etc.

Ah, now I see the list active. Bliss. No messages back, 50% OK

Thanks  a lot to all in the list.
adriano

@ 2016-08-23 19:52         ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-08-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:05:10AM -0700, David Walther wrote:
> Then the whiskey wore off.

[citation needed]

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 20:11                         ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-08-23 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2016-08-23 20:51                       ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2016-08-23 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Brantley Coile <brantleycoile@me.com> wrote:
> We haven’t stopped using it, but then again, we don’t talk much on the list.

I'm guilty of this as well. I still run a dedicated fileserver at home
backed by a venti store running on a biggish storage array served by
plan9port. My cpu servers are still alive and well and the pi terminal
I keep next to the rack in the basement is as functional as ever.

I haven't had as much time to dedicate to plan9 the last couple of
years, but for reasons well known by other 9fans, I can't bring myself
to decommission the hardware.

That said, I did find the time over my winter holiday to write a
collectd agent for plan9, so I've been happily collecting statistics
for the last eight months. If I can get around to writing a man page
for it, I'll happily copy it out to sources for those that are
interested.

Cheers,

Steve

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-23 21:32                         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-08-23 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi all.

I get less time for plan9 too, a new higher pressure job and twins are my excuses. I still have my home server which is my mail and web presence and maintains my domain, A raspberry Pi at work runs my desktop.

I hope fix the broken raspberry Pi audio and write a Dropbox client... and port the svn client, but that has been ongoing for years.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-24  0:53     ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2016-08-24  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey Adriano

It seems as if the list is not totally moribund after all, even if these
days people will insist on talking about Plan9 on it, rather than posting
informative digressions about almost everything else. I hope you got at
least some of the responses which your original message sparked. The list
is not mute, so if you're not getting the number of responses you expect,
checking your spam bucket is probably a good idea.

@ 2016-08-24  8:51       ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-24  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Winston Kodogo wrote:
> Hey Adriano
>
> It seems as if the list is not totally moribund after all, even if
> these days people will insist on talking about Plan9 on it, rather
> than posting informative digressions about almost everything else. I
> hope you got at least some of the responses which your original
> message sparked. The list is not mute, so if you're not getting the
> number of responses you expect, checking your spam bucket is probably
> a good idea.
Hi, I checked them for a while before issuing my first message.

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-24 11:55         ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-08-24 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Some general comments.

It’s good to see it used in at least a few places. It’s too good a system to be the only one using it. But I will until providence completely forces me to do otherwise, which I don’t anticipate.

I’m really lucky to be able to use the system, especially in the way it was envisioned in the 1980’s. My first knowledge of it was when I asked Dennis Ritchie what was new. He said that Ken was playing around with the concept of union directories. Later, during one of my visits to the Labs, in 1988 I think, Dennis gave me a demonstration of the system.

One problem with most people who haven’t been as fortunate as I have, is they really just need a single system, not a distributed system. While Plan 9 makes a better single system for some things than most OSes, it’s really not supposed to have local disks at all. It really is designed to be a larger distributed timesharing system. At Coraid, we had two setups, one in Athens and one in Redwood City, that supported over 100 users in total. And without a single dedicated system admin. It was a very part time job, mostly for Erik, but Ian Ennis did some as well. It was very easy to manage because it was a single machine.

As far as I know, SouthSuite is now the only company both using it as a development system or shipping software based on Plan 9. Does anyone know of any others?

Different people choose tools for different reasons and to satisfy different requirements the world places on them. I chose to work in embedded appliances so I could pick the software I use. The PIX Firewall was a bit too early for Plan 9—it was not yet released when I wrote the PIX—but it was very much of the spirit, as was the Cisco LocalDirector. Soon, we began using the 1995 Plan 9 release and I have been using it almost exclusively ever since. I use it as the sole development environment and as the base of the products we ship.

In spite of our early success at Coraid with the SR, after the VC investment the use of Plan 9 became controversial. It’s not what others use, and in Sand Land (what else can one call Silicon Valley) that makes people nervous. Over my objections, the company attempted to move to Open Solaris. It’s a truism that a company that changes operating system goes out of business, and Coraid, Inc. again proved that to be true. The reason? A small company can’t afford the retooling costs to switch to another operating system.

But things have turned out well anyway, at least for me and the traditional Coraid users. Now I have everything from the trademark to the source code and now offer the Coraid product as a software product and can support existing Coraid users, both with software updates and with help getting their hardware fixed or replaced. We are helping all those folks who bought Coraid gear continue to get value of their purchase. One fellow sent me a note showing that he’s been up over 2,000 days without rebooting. There’s never a reason to fork-lift an SR.

I like to think we do a good job, but our performance, efficiency and low cost is all made possible by the superior system that was developed by the folks at the Labs from 1987 thru 2002.

  Brantley

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-24 13:00           ` Nickolas Peter
From: Nickolas Peter @ 2016-08-24 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Brantley,

I am by no means an experienced developer or Plan 9 user, so I can hardly
speak from the same experience level as most (I assume) of the posters on
this list. I only recently found myself very interested in Plan 9, C, and
embedded systems. As of now, I only run 9front as a learning environment
on series of virtual machines.

It's really intriguing to hear that there's commercial hardware running
Plan 9, and very motivating to see that there are still people utilizing
Plan 9 in some way as a primary system.

When you mentioned using Plan 9 in your shipping software, were you
referring to some internal software that you use to handle shipping
hardware to customers, or software that you sell to customers (say, to run
on your hardware)? I'm interested to hear more about it, if you're at
liberty to share.

Nick

@ 2016-08-24 13:10             ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-08-24 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nick,

Coraid, Inc sold network storage systems that consisted of our software running on more or less stock Supermicro hardware. We invented the ATA-over-Ethernet block storage network protocol. We sold almost $100,000,000 worth of stuff, somewhere north of 10,000 units, all running Plan 9.

I left Coraid the company in 2014 over disagreements with management on the direction of the company, and started SouthSuite Software. Coraid, Inc. was foreclosed on by the bank in 2015 and I was subsequently able to purchase the good parts of the old Coraid, including the brand name “Coraid.” Now, Coraid the brand lives on as a product of SouthSuite Software.

Now, we license that same software, or our continuing evolution of it, to run on Supermicro hardware our customer buys themselves at a big savings. We also support the existing Coraid equipment that is in the field.

You can check us out at http://www.coraid.com

Thanks for asking.

P. S. I still code exclusively in C and see no reason for me to change.

  Brantley

@ 2016-08-24 13:54               ` Nickolas Peter
From: Nickolas Peter @ 2016-08-24 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brantley,

Wow, that's really impressive. Thanks for sharing. Would you say that
Supermicro hardware supports Plan 9 well, or did it take a lot of hacking
and driver development? I have a Supermicro 1U sitting in my uncles
basement — I might go grab it and set it up as a fileserver.

@ 2016-08-26  0:38                 ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2016-08-26  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Aug 24, 2016, at 7:54 AM, Nickolas Peter <nickpeteromalley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Brantley,
>
> Wow, that's really impressive. Thanks for sharing. Would you say that Supermicro hardware supports Plan 9 well, or did it take a lot of hacking and driver development? I have a Supermicro 1U sitting in my uncles basement — I might go grab it and set it up as a fileserver.
>
> Nick

Hello from a long time lurker on the list.  I am glad it is still alive.

I also find it exciting that Coraid lives again.  Well done, Brantley.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-26 16:28           ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2016-08-26 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> As far as I know, SouthSuite is now the only company both using it as a development system or shipping software based on Plan 9. Does anyone know of any others?

I still use Plan 9 for development as much as possible.  Regrettably this
has been decreasing as I write less C and more Verilog.

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-28 23:46                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2016-08-28 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Aug 25 17:41:51 PDT 2016, kim@westryn.net wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2016, at 7:54 AM, Nickolas Peter <nickpeteromalley@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Brantley,
> >
> > Wow, that's really impressive. Thanks for sharing. Would you say that Supermicro hardware supports Plan 9 well, or did it take a lot of hacking and driver development? I have a Supermicro 1U sitting in my uncles basement — I might go grab it and set it up as a fileserver.
> >
> > Nick
>
> Hello from a long time lurker on the list.  I am glad it is still alive.
>
> I also find it exciting that Coraid lives again.  Well done, Brantley.

+1

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-28 23:51     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2016-08-28 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Aug 23 12:35:51 PDT 2016, sl@9front.org wrote:
> Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In fact the population of 9fans in
> >my
> >neighborhood has doubled.
>
> Shades of damned lies and statistics?

i can verify.  we're in the same neighborhood.  :-)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-28 23:52                         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2016-08-28 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>We still run Ken’s file server that Erik modified into a diskless file
>server using our AoE appliances behind it. I develop on Plan 9
>exclusively. And we use it as a distributed operating system running on
>about a dozen machines.

i'm running ken's file server on a port to amd64.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-30 16:26   ` michaelian ennis
From: michaelian ennis @ 2016-08-30 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <
skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:

as a 9fan, I can say, not dead yet. In fact the population of 9fans in my
> neighborhood has doubled.

And for the county it has at least tripled.  I heard at least one other
woot for Plan9 at Brad Fitzpatrick's talk last week.  :)

Ian

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-30 17:01     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I heard that too (I think the woot was for Go on Plan 9/ARM).  I'm sorry I
missed that meetup.

I've been thinking about setting up a meetup for 9fans in Seattle area.
There seems to be renewed interest (or perhaps it's my wishful thinking).

@ 2016-08-30 17:34       ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-08-30 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 05:01:36PM +0000, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> I've been thinking about setting up a meetup for 9fans in Seattle area.
> There seems to be renewed interest (or perhaps it's my wishful thinking).

I regret to inform you I now live within driving distance of Seattle.
Please bear this in mind when making future plans.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-30 18:41       ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-08-30 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well let's hope someone does something. Mark-my-words is writing beautiful
code that has already been done.

Push a little button, get .hot .chocolate.
-- Russ Cox Cable von Shane

@ 2016-08-30 18:54         ` Eduardo Alvarez
From: Eduardo Alvarez @ 2016-08-30 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I mostly lurk around here, as I'm greener than green when it comes to
plan 9. At some point in time, a friend and I were discussing setting
up a small-sized computing cluster for small scale distributed
computations. I was keen on the idea of using inexpensive hardware (we
even joked about using a truckloads of Raspberry Pis), and plan 9
seemed like an excellent candidate for the infrastructure. The biggest
challenge was porting software to Plan 9. Sadly, the idea never took
off. It would be a fun experiment.

Eduardo Alvarez

@ 2016-08-30 19:05           ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-08-30 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I keep a NFS mount to parallel dev Linux Solaris Irix including ARM. It
uses m4 as there is no compiler on Sol/Sgi. It was used to create 9p
services and RC on all systems much like macros in assembler.

There isn't much desire to port as most programs should be rethought.
Today's programs are too monolithic and redundant. Break them up like
cat/pipe find overlaps and turn them into modules callable with RC.
--Bootes

@ 2016-08-30 19:36           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-30 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It is straightforward and easy:

https://plus.google.com/+SkipTavakkolian/posts/Fb846KhBMM6

@ 2016-08-30 21:41             ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-08-30 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

skip: what is straightforward and easy? your link seems like google
plus is shutting down, but your post is gone?

i'd like it if people would stick to one medium: i don't want to be
forced to use a web browser to participate in discussions on this
mailing list.

@ 2016-08-30 21:58               ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2016-08-30 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:41 PM, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'd like it if people would stick to one medium: i don't want to be
> forced to use a web browser to participate in discussions on this
> mailing list.

Sorry, I had to double check the date after reading this.

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-30 22:02                 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-08-30 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 04:58:18PM -0500, Steven Stallion wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:41 PM, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i'd like it if people would stick to one medium: i don't want to be
> > forced to use a web browser to participate in discussions on this
> > mailing list.
>
> Sorry, I had to double check the date after reading this.

How did you do that?  My web browser doesn't have a date command.  I've
been posting to instagram and reading the resulting timestamp.  Is there
a better way?

khm

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-30 22:07                 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-08-30 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you mean it's the day of the chrome OS?

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-30 22:10                   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2016-08-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:
> How did you do that?  My web browser doesn't have a date command.  I've
> been posting to instagram and reading the resulting timestamp.  Is there
> a better way?

http://www.time.gov/

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-30 22:10             ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-08-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am about a quarter of the way to a similar setup.

My goal is to have a specialty for each of the Pi's (sensors, controller, terminal, router) without preventing them from doing general tasks. I'm hoping to eventually connect up some Pi zeros as leaf nodes for just sensor/control and plumb through 9P via UART pins.

Chris

@ 2016-08-30 22:18               ` Eduardo Alvarez
From: Eduardo Alvarez @ 2016-08-30 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Are you keeping your progess public? It would be very educational to read.

@ 2016-08-30 22:22                 ` Chris McGee
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-08-30 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sure,

I'm looking for plan9 user/enthusiast appropriate medium. Any suggestions?

Chris

@ 2016-08-30 22:26                   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2016-08-30 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm looking for plan9 user/enthusiast appropriate medium. Any suggestions?

standard error.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-31  0:51                   ` Skip Tavakkolian
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-31  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

some here still prefer hammer/chisel/stone to new-fangled
quill/ink/parchment

@ 2016-08-31  1:35                     ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-08-31  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I could put it up as a troff file on a 9P share but then how will people find it and know when it's updated?

There's got to be some medium that is palatable to both hard core and new users.

Chris

@ 2016-08-31  2:08                     ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2016-08-31  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah, but me, I prefer banging my head repeatedly against a brick wall
while chewing broken glass to using this troff thing. In this case, the
new-fangled stuff is just better, at least for normal people who just want
to get stuff done.

@ 2016-08-31  2:11                       ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2016-08-31  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

And, on a related note:

https://www.jwz.org/blog/2012/04/why-i-use-safari-instead-of-firefox/

@ 2016-08-31  3:48                     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-08-31  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 12:51:39AM +0000, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> some here still prefer hammer/chisel/stone to new-fangled
> quill/ink/parchment

Before I die, I'll figure out why it offends some of you so much that a
few of us use plan 9 as more than a masturbatory aid.  Meanwhile, I
don't think it's a wildly unreasonable request that a five-sentence text
post be reproduced within the medium used to discuss it.

But I know, I know, pasting is hard.  I apologize on hiro's behalf for
this gross intrusion on your freedom.

To Mr. McGee:  just go ahead and put your output wherever.  Those of us
who are interested in the content are accustomed to adapting to other
people's preferred workflows.

The rest of list will continue shitposting about their utopian
javascript-based society regardless.  Until recently it was the Cult of
Mac; I look forward to being scoffed at from within a VR headset soon.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-31  5:52                       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-31  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> plan 9 as more than a masturbatory aid.

put up or shut up:

% for (i in (rpi2 snssrv bootes mikro)) {
	cpu -h $i -c 'uptime && cat ''#''P/cputype'
	}
rpi2 up 121 days, 14:17:03
ARM 1176JZF-S 700
snssrv up 88 days, 04:42:19
P6 1694
bootes up 162 days, 09:42:41
Atom 1801
mikro up 0 days, 00:09:04
MIPS 24k 680

and also:

ec2          156108    0:38   0:07   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156113    0:20   0:03   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156126    0:23   0:04   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156127    0:27   0:04   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156128    0:13   0:02   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156129    0:20   0:04   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156130    0:00   0:00   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156131    0:24   0:04   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156132    0:21   0:04   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156136    0:34   0:04   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156137    0:39   0:10   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156138    0:00   0:00   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156142    0:02   0:00   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156143    0:00   0:00   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          156144    0:00   0:00   795188K Semacqui 9pcloud
ec2          418417    0:00   0:00       92K Exec     grep 9pcloud
cpu% uptime
i-b363c1b9 up 224 days, 05:45:56

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-31  6:40                         ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-08-31  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:52:31PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> > plan 9 as more than a masturbatory aid.
>
> put up or shut up:

Sorry, I can't win uptime games, as the kernel I use is maintained.
To my great regret, instead of six hundred 50MFLOPS computers I don't
use, I only have three or four real computers that I do :(

Congratulations on your accomplishments!

khm

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-31  7:58                           ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-08-31  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Funny you should mention uptime. A few days ago someone sent us a system status report we use to support our Plan 9 based SR customers and their system had been up for over 2,000 days. I thought our file server being up two years was impressive ... Until I saw that.

Sent from my iPad

@ 2016-08-31 14:04                   ` Eduardo Alvarez
From: Eduardo Alvarez @ 2016-08-31 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Whatever you like is fine. I'm not picky.

@ 2016-08-31 17:55                           ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2016-08-31 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 1:40 AM, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:52:31PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
>> > plan 9 as more than a masturbatory aid.
>>
>> put up or shut up:
> Congratulations on your accomplishments!

% fn ck { grep $* /n/sources/patch/*/email /n/sources/patch/^(applied
maybe saved sorry)^/*/email >[2]/dev/null |wc -l}
% ck sstallion@gmail.com
     28
% ck khm@sciops.net
      0

Perhaps it's better to be known for the occasional masturbatory
session than for being an incorrigible troll.

Steve

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-31 18:36                             ` stanley lieber
From: stanley lieber @ 2016-08-31 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> put up or shut up:
>> Congratulations on your accomplishments!
>
>% fn ck { grep $* /n/sources/patch/*/email /n/sources/patch/^(applied
>maybe saved sorry)^/*/email >[2]/dev/null |wc -l}
>% ck sstallion@gmail.com
>     28
>% ck khm@sciops.net
>      0
>
>Perhaps it's better to be known for the occasional masturbatory
>session than for being an incorrigible troll.
>
>Steve

What's incorrigible is the way you people consistently reply to questions from newbs with claims that it is trivial to do various tasks on Plan 9 without ever quite revealing that 1.) it isn't, and 2.) you aren't really referring to the task they suggested, anyway. Skip does this, Every. Single. Time. What is the point?

What do you use that rpi "cluster" for, Skip? Do you mean to imply some the availability of some facility for process migration? You know none exists.

The latest amusing evolution is a parade of replies from the usual suspects where it's never quite clear which of them are promoting or denigrating the degraded web-centric nature of modern computing. First various ribbons and medals associated with historic Plan 9 campaigns are displayed and then the same noble campaigners suggest that Plan 9 users are cave men clinging to stone tools. I think the quips are so clever precisely because their target is indeterminate. Great, you're funny, but again, what is the point?

How does any of this clarify matters for interested newbs?

My personal favorite aspect of this tiresome dance is the eventual denunciation of trolls. Here, in the spiritual home of Mark V Shaney!

The problem is not trolling. The problem is low to medium quality trolling, performed by armchair quarterbacks who want credit for being Plan 9 Gandalfs but who are unwilling to provide the simple service of speaking in words that make sense. Mothra forbid any should cast aspersions upon the sacred world wide web,
bringer of the paycheck and dresser of the tongue.

Kurt provides free hosting for the 9front mercurial repository, after Google found better things to do with their time. Thanks, Kurt.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-31 19:03                             ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-08-31 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 12:55:09PM -0500, Steven Stallion wrote:
> Perhaps it's better to be known for the occasional masturbatory
> session than for being an incorrigible troll.

You know we forked the operating system, right?  I know it's hard to
keep track of things since google reader went down.  And google code
search went down.  And google code went down.  At least we'll always
have google plus.  You'll find, however, that what code I do write
doesn't wind up there OR on whatever servers Nokia has forgotten to
unplug.

Anyway, as a systems administrator, I help out by providing hosting for
various needful things, as sl mentioned, and by providing quasi-reliable
hosting services for 9front users who don't want to send money to AWS
every month.

I know this is possibly the worst crime a human being can commit, but I
don't really enjoy programming -- I just like to use the software.  How's
that for a one-two punch?

khm

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-08-31 20:59                               ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-31 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:43 AM stanley lieber <sl@9front.org> wrote:

> Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Congratulations on your accomplishments!
> >
> >% fn ck { grep $* /n/sources/patch/*/email /n/sources/patch/^(applied
> >maybe saved sorry)^/*/email >[2]/dev/null |wc -l}
> >% ck sstallion@gmail.com
> >     28
> >% ck khm@sciops.net
> >      0
> >
> >Perhaps it's better to be known for the occasional masturbatory
> >session than for being an incorrigible troll.
> >
> >Steve
>
> What's incorrigible is the way you people consistently reply to questions
> from newbs with claims that it is trivial to do various tasks on Plan 9
> without ever quite revealing that 1.) it isn't, and 2.) you aren't really
> referring to the task they suggested, anyway. Skip does this, Every.
> Single. Time. What is the point?

you're assuming a person who is new to Plan 9, is new to computing, system
admin or programming.

easy means: "no different than setting up a cpu once you've configured your
fs and auth".  adding entries for 8 rpi's in /lib/ndb/local and /cfg/pxe is
as easy as cutting and pasting after the first one. they all run the same
kernel.

please take the hyperbole down a bit or provide instances for what you
claim i did. the internet has a long memory; http links would be sufficient.

regarding pi cluster, it was related to a work-in-progress i talked about
at IWP9 2010.  i've shared as much detail as i could.

> What do you use that rpi "cluster" for, Skip? Do you mean to imply some
> the availability of some facility for process migration? You know none
> exists.
>
> The latest amusing evolution is a parade of replies from the usual
> suspects where it's never quite clear which of them are promoting or
> denigrating the degraded web-centric nature of modern computing. First
> various ribbons and medals associated with historic Plan 9 campaigns are
> displayed and then the same noble campaigners suggest that Plan 9 users are
> cave men clinging to stone tools. I think the quips are so clever precisely
> because their target is indeterminate. Great, you're funny, but again, what
> is the point?
>
> How does any of this clarify matters for interested newbs?
>
> My personal favorite aspect of this tiresome dance is the eventual
> denunciation of trolls. Here, in the spiritual home of Mark V Shaney!
>
> The problem is not trolling. The problem is low to medium quality
> trolling, performed by armchair quarterbacks who want credit for being Plan
> 9 Gandalfs but who are unwilling to provide the simple service of speaking
> in words that make sense. Mothra forbid any should cast aspersions upon the
> sacred world wide web,
> bringer of the paycheck and dresser of the tongue.

and yet, it is you and your ilk who claim the mantle of the true keepers of
the faith, beating back the evildoers.

@ 2016-08-31 21:36                                 ` stanley lieber
From: stanley lieber @ 2016-08-31 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> [...]

>> My personal favorite aspect of this tiresome dance is the eventual
>> denunciation of trolls. Here, in the spiritual home of Mark V Shaney!
>>
>> The problem is not trolling. The problem is low to medium quality
>> trolling, performed by armchair quarterbacks who want credit for
>being Plan
>> 9 Gandalfs but who are unwilling to provide the simple service of
>speaking
>> in words that make sense. Mothra forbid any should cast aspersions
>upon the
>> sacred world wide web,
>> bringer of the paycheck and dresser of the tongue.
>>

>and yet, it is you and your ilk who claim the mantle of the true
>keepers of
>the faith, beating back the evildoers.
>

>> Kurt provides free hosting for the 9front mercurial repository, after
>> Google found better things to do with their time. Thanks, Kurt.

"your ilk"

What does that mean, exactly, Skip?

http://fqa.9front.org

What I say is that Plan 9 runs on my computer and I use it to do the things I use computers for. Documentation of the hows and whys can be found at the URL above. 9fans manage to consistently make fun of this idea while somehow simultaneously retaining an incredibly easily offended sense of ownership over anything mentioned on 9fans since 1993. Which is the real you? And why do quips become verboten only after you've contributed the quips you wanted to contribute?

It's not so much keeping the flame as it is simply wanting to run the software to actually do things, and realizing that waiting for the last remaining Bell Labs staff working on Plan 9 to jump ship is a poor strategy for keeping the OS alive. We forked, and the OS lives.

Oblique references to a talk given six years ago about a project the details of which you can't reveal publicly is a good example of what I'm describing in this thread. What does this innuendo illuminate? Who does it help? Why even mention it when you can't elaborate? And this is what you dangle just over the heads of newbs? How about providing instead actual advice on how to get the OS to do something useful?

The best part about your challenge to produce links is that the 9fans web archive has been offline for close to a year. People objected when I made the claim 9fans quit bothering with Plan 9, but the status quo leans farther and farther away from it with each passing year. Alcatel-Lucent had to be pestered on Twitter just to get the sources machine back online.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-09-01  2:53                                   ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2016-09-01  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well, the meaning of the word "ilk" has always puzzled me. As in "Sir
Robert Pike of that Ilk". But then I'm not Scottish. Or Scotch, whichever
is correct. Me, I still lend a fraction of an ear to this group in the
increasingly vain hope of learning something.

Personally, I don't use Plan9, or even p9p, to get stuff done. I just like
to look at the code from time to time. I'm with Carmack on Plan9 circa
1997: " It has an achingly elegant internal structure, but a user interface
that has been asleep for the past decade." Add a couple of decades to that.

Also, don't be mean to Skip!

@ 2016-09-01  7:54                                     ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2016-09-01  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Personally, I don't use Plan9, or even p9p, to get stuff done. I just like
> to look at the code from time to time. I'm with Carmack on Plan9 circa 1997:
> " It has an achingly elegant internal structure, but a user interface that
> has been asleep for the past decade." Add a couple of decades to that.

Two more decades of what?

Unless you count mobile devices, UIs in 2016 still function largely like
Windows 95.
Incremental improvements, but no major innovations.
Some bad mistakes (ribbons...).

The best part is web interfaces, which continue to poorly imitate what
Win95 could do 20 years ago.

I'd rather stick to rio.

aiju

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-09-01  9:21                                 ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2016-09-01  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

"the internet has a long memory"
for the record:
for the last ~20 years on 9fans and during the few iwp9s I could join,
I've always received helpful answers and insights.
Thanks to everybody who could help! (Richard, Skip, Charles, Brucee,
Brantley too many to list.)
I plan to stay for the next 20.

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Skip Tavakkolian

@ 2016-09-01 23:01                                       ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2016-09-01 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

"Unless you count mobile devices, UIs in 2016 still function largely like
Windows 95."

Oddly, that's not true. Mind you, I've always been a Mac user. But I've
recently been spending some time in Excel VBA under Windows 10, and the
interface in the editor is still pure Windows 95,and boy does it ever show.

But yeah, the ribbon is a disaster. To the extent that people make money
selling add-ins to restore the classic menus.

@ 2016-09-15 10:02           ` David Walther
       [not found]             ` <CAEVxPTMusObVM6YwcbUcbZeEk227Urwefpik7r8ifZRx0ux1pg@mail.gmail.com>
From: David Walther @ 2016-09-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:52:59PM -0700, Kurt H Maier wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:05:10AM -0700, David Walther wrote:
>> Then the whiskey wore off.
>
>[citation needed]

http://www.ulisp.com/
http://flashforth.com/

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
       [not found]               ` <CAEVxPTNNg+LZEXnNLNG68RYui-kb_7AQpTO6ud=pHfSp6d9T5w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-09-15 17:38                 ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-09-15 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

C leet.jpg, the Ken Thompsons. RMS
King Stahlman's bail Bond.

[-- Attachment #2: IMG_20160913_123137.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 333825 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
@ 2016-09-15 20:37                         ` Bryan Harris
From: Bryan Harris @ 2016-09-15 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Aug 30, 2016, at 10:11 PM, Winston Kodogo <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And, on a related note:
>
> https://www.jwz.org/blog/2012/04/why-i-use-safari-instead-of-firefox/
>

> consistency across apps

Press escape in iTunes.  Press escape in DVD player.  :-(

V/r,
Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

* Re: [9fans] Is 9Fans dead or alive
       [not found] <741901743.1038803.1471983485978.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-08-23 20:18 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2016-08-23 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 8/23/16, Brantley Coile <brantleycoile@me.com> wrote:
> We haven’t stopped using it, but then again, we don’t talk much on the
> list.

I can say this particular 9 fan isn't dead...just aging.  My main file server
here at home runs Plan9, but with my own file system, rather than Ken's.
My auth server is a Raspberry Pi B running Richard's port.  I run 9vx as
a terminal taking its root from my file server daily, and run it with a local
root at the office.  There's another older Pi B running stand-alone at the
office.  I tought a course last fall using Plan9 on Raspberry Pis, and I still
use Inferno internals to teach my undergrad OS class.  Plus one of my
students did an independent study last year starting a port to the Banana Pi.
So at least in my little world, Plan9 is very much alive and being used.

BLS

P.S.  On the other hand, the last six months my little world has included
a lot of activity related to the ENIAC.  So YMMV.