From: Eris Discordia <eris.discordia@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] dataflow programming from shell interpreter
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:44:56 +0000	[thread overview]

> i don't think a direct mapping of COM to Plan 9 fs model is
> unnecessary.  for example, instead of mapping every control or
> configuration interface and method to synthetic directories and files,
> a single ctl file will do.

It didn't occur to me at all that anyone would want to implement DirectShow
or anything like that on Plan 9. Anyhow, I suppose if anyone's going to do
that they should probably first work on fast display drivers that leverage
modern cards' overlay capabilities and a facilitating media infrastructure
equivalent to DirectX. On run-of-the-mill PCs good video works depends a
lot on software support of video hardware, of course.

The logic inside most DirectShow filters either is open source (like
ffdshow) or has good open source equivalents. The interfacing (COM), as you
have noted, and input/output, which is hardware-dependent and therefore
probably weakly developed in Plan 9 (I don't really have an idea, just
guessing), are the missing bits from a DirectShow-like (multi-pipe) video
processing pipeline on Plan 9.

--On Thursday, January 21, 2010 13:36 -0800 Skip Tavakkolian