* [9fans] Cheap ARM board to play with
@ 2011-06-24 19:59 Jack Norton
From: Jack Norton @ 2011-06-24 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

All,

I just had to post this on 9fans.  Sorry if everyone has already seen it.
http://www.mini-box.com/pico-SAM9G45-X

It is $69 USD.  I can't even remember how the ARM port is going but this
might be some cheap hardware to get up and running.  I've never tried
getting an ARM board working under plan 9 so I am hesitant.  If I can
convince myself I've got the time, I will buy one.
They've even got schematics posted on their wiki (link can be found if
you follow the above URL).

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Cheap ARM board to play with
@ 2011-06-24 21:28 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-06-24 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

we used to buy lots of stuff from that company, they are really good
to deal with.

Geoff, does that cpu look vaguely compatible?

Can you tell if there is a JTAG port?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Cheap ARM board to play with
@ 2011-06-24 21:37 ` Nicolas Bercher
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2011-06-24 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 24/06/2011 21:59, Jack Norton wrote:
> All,
>
> I just had to post this on 9fans. Sorry if everyone has already seen it.
> http://www.mini-box.com/pico-SAM9G45-X

Sorry, I have not such experience yet.  However, this site might interest people that care
about energy efficiency in their servers.

I discovered this vendor site one year ago while I was looking for very low-consumption
hardware pieces.  I have to say that they have really interesting power supplies (among
other hardware of course) called "PicoPSU": they are fanless, very-very small and have
~95% efficiency.  They are only DC/DC converters, so one must use an additional AC/DC
power supply (like laptop power supplies).  Of course the overall effiency of
"AC/DC-DC/DC" chain is still very interesting.

Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] Cheap ARM board to play with
@ 2011-06-25  3:13   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-06-25  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Do they really provide astonishingly great documentation or why do you
think are these boards worth the bucks?