* [9fans] how to mount an inert fossil partition?
@ 2011-06-08 19:46 Nicolas BERCHER
From: Nicolas BERCHER @ 2011-06-08 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi everybody,

I've read a lot of documentation so far but I'm still not able to draw how to mount an
"inert fossil partition" (i.e. available as a regular partition, but not used by the system).

I did some bad configuration and I can't boot my Plan 9.  So I try to use another Plan 9
install to repair my conf.  Note that I use qemu (without its snapshoting opportunities, I
know it's a shame!)

Or maybe there's another way 'from outer space' for doing such things...?

Thanks,
Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] how to mount an inert fossil partition?
@ 2011-06-08 20:03 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-06-08 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jun  8 15:48:19 EDT 2011, nbercher@yahoo.fr wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've read a lot of documentation so far but I'm still not able to draw how to mount an
> "inert fossil partition" (i.e. available as a regular partition, but not used by the system).
>
> I did some bad configuration and I can't boot my Plan 9.  So I try to use another Plan 9
> install to repair my conf.  Note that I use qemu (without its snapshoting opportunities, I
> know it's a shame!)

i think the fossil man page ought to be a great start.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] how to mount an inert fossil partition?
@ 2011-06-08 20:08 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2011-06-08 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if the fossil partition is /dev/sdC0/fossil on the cpu you're on, you
should be able to bring it up (assuming the configuration is sane)
using:

   fossil/fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil

if not you can print the configuration:

fossil/conf /dev/sdC0/fossil

and rewrite it with the -w flag.
the example in the man page is fairly complete.

-Skip

@ 2011-06-08 21:23   ` Nicolas BERCHER
From: Nicolas BERCHER @ 2011-06-08 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 08/06/2011 22:08, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> if the fossil partition is /dev/sdC0/fossil on the cpu you're on, you
> should be able to bring it up (assuming the configuration is sane)
> using:
>
>     fossil/fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil
OK, among the things I tried, I did this and had some complaints because fossil couldn't
connect to venti.  Now, I wonder where I can actually see the files it contains.  The
above command started a new fie server instance, but I don't know yet how to attach it in
my current rc namespace.

Sorry for the basic questions, diving into Plan 9 is somehow difficult for beginners.

@ 2011-06-08 21:32     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2011-06-08 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Sorry for the basic questions, diving into Plan 9 is somehow difficult for
> beginners.

So is diving in general.

HTH. HAND.

* Re: [9fans] how to mount an inert fossil partition?
@ 2011-06-08 21:36     ` Gabriel Díaz López de la llave
From: Gabriel Díaz López de la llave @ 2011-06-08 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

if the system can't boot, what are the symptoms? any error messages? can't
find the kernel? can't find sd device?

what were you configuring when this happened?

if you used fossil+venti installation, you need to start venti server before
fossil.

slds.

gabi

@ 2011-06-08 22:03       ` Nicolas BERCHER
From: Nicolas BERCHER @ 2011-06-08 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 08/06/2011 23:36, Gabriel Díaz López de la llave wrote:
> hello
>
> if the system can't boot, what are the symptoms? any error messages?
> can't find the kernel? can't find sd device?
Good point.  I don't really know what happened but the system started!  Last time I tried,
I waited tens of minutes and it really looked... dead (after dialing venti (ok), and
"can't find my ip address").
I suspected two things that would explain my problems: (1) I couldn't access to /n/dump
and get error messages ('block label mismatch') and (2) I modified a lot my /lib/ndb/local
file to setup my network.  So I thought the system was (1) checking file system
consistency or (2) waiting for the auth server to respond or something like that (I know I
speculated a lot here, but that was my intuition).

> if you used fossil+venti installation, you need to start venti server
> before fossil.
This is done out of the box.

@ 2011-06-09  5:46         ` Gabriel Díaz López de la llave
From: Gabriel Díaz López de la llave @ 2011-06-09  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

first time you boot, fossil dumps the whole fs to venti, and that takes a
while, and also this can make your system look like hanged, iirc you can see
what venti is doing listing the processes with control+t-p iirc if your
shell is irresponsive or with ps -a.

may be we need to put a message on the first dump to warning the user :?

slds.

gabi

@ 2011-06-10 20:01           ` Nicolas Bercher
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2011-06-10 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 09/06/2011 07:46, Gabriel Díaz López de la llave wrote:
> hello
>
> first time you boot, fossil dumps the whole fs to venti, and that takes
> a while, and also this can make your system look like hanged, iirc you
> can see what venti is doing listing the processes with control+t-p iirc
> if your shell is irresponsive or with ps -a.
The fact is that I new venti does this the first time Plna 9 boots.  But last time my
system looked like hanged, it was maybe the 20th boot or whatever far from the first time,
and just after I did some nasty config modifications.  (I did multiple tests under qemu
with tun/tap interfaces and rebooted a lot).

> may be we need to put a message on the first dump to warning the user :?
Maybe: if venti use to do snapshots on startup...? (but I'm quite sure it wasn't the case)

Nicolas