* [9fans] RFS alternatives (Was: Living with Plan 9)
@ 2011-06-11 19:26 rbnsw-plan9
From: rbnsw-plan9 @ 2011-06-11 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

--- On Wed, 8/6/11, I wrote in part:

> I am old enough to remember RFS the Remote File Sharing
> Protocol on SVR4 that offered access to remote devices, but
> I don't have that and I'm not aware of whether there are any
> distributed file  protocols freely available for *nix
> that do that.

Um, does v9fs remote Linux devices? I find it hard to imagine it would remote ioctls but it makes sense *nix to *nix.

If not, are there any other alternatives? Are there any gotchas remoting *nix devices?

If v9fs works in such a configuration it would eliminate most of the issues I have with *nix resource sharing - unless I use a platform without 9fs a 9fs client and servers.

That just leaves my issues with X.

Cheers,

Andrew

* Re: [9fans] RFS alternatives (Was: Living with Plan 9)
@ 2011-06-21 17:35 rbnsw-plan9
From: rbnsw-plan9 @ 2011-06-21 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

--- On Tue, 21/6/11, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Um, does v9fs remote Linux devices? I find it hard to
>> imagine it would remote ioctls but it makes sense *nix to
>> *nix.
>>

> Depends on how you configure it.  There is a nodevmap
> option to the v9fs mount which will instruct it to just access
> the remote devices directly instead of just mapping their major/minor
> numbers to local devices.  You are correct in your imagining that we
> don't go anywhere near ioctls with a 10 foot pole.  However, many things
> "just work" without ioctls these days.

Thanks for the info, but the devices encumbered with ioctls are the tricky ones and even if they can be sorted out I'm sure there are some other traps out there. Too bad there are no RFS gurus lurking here to offer their wisdom on remoting devices. I have a sneaking suspicion few people would have bothered, since the few devices worth remoting back then were easily handled by rsh/rcmd. Did RFS make it beyond SVR4?

> > That just leaves my issues with X.
> >

> Actually, its a bit worse than that.  The physical
> network devices aren't file system accessible anymore,
Actually, I'd blotted out of my mind all knowledges of STREAMs devices and the related horror of TLI programming until you reminded me.
> so you'd need to remote them as a service (via Inferno or something) or
> use the tap device and remote that and hope that it doesn't require ioctls (and I think it might).

Oh, I'm not worried about remoting network interfaces. I'm fine with packet forwarding and can live with NAT for now. However, it reminds me of another point in Plan 9's favour that the introductory papers should be updated to be more explicit about - NATs are unnecessary in a pure Plan 9 deployment. Unfortunately, neither Plan 9 routers or decent alternatives to NAT such as RSIP widely available.

>         -eric

Andrew

P.S. There's spammers subscribed to this list. Hi there, friends of Khalifa.

* Re: [9fans] RFS alternatives (Was: Living with Plan 9)
@ 2011-06-27 17:07 rbnsw-plan9
From: rbnsw-plan9 @ 2011-06-27 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, David Lukes

--- On Wed, 22/6/11, David Lukes <davelukes@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm no RFS guru, thank deity, but I did RTFC once and "F"
> was apposite.
It took me a little time to figure out RTFC wasn't a remote file system ;-)

> ioctl was handled by having the client "know" exactly what
> each ioctl "looked like", i.e. it only worked for known
> cases.

Thanks for pointing out the folly in my thinking. I was hoping for a user/administrators view of RFS but the under the hood perspective is welcome. I'd forgotten that the variable(!) trailing parameters of the ioctl are opaque at the system call level, i.e. their layouts are only known to the application program and device drivers.

So the best that can be done in a generic manner is to send ioctls only between systems with identical binary representations (possibly remapping major/minor device numbers).

Maybe if RFS had been more successful over NFS, (or Linus knew more about Plan 9) the Unix interface would have been fixed by now. I wonder if there is any level of acceptance amongst *nix kernel developers that this is a problem. I can think of schemes to fix this without having to modify every program that issues an ioctl - though that would be a good idea in the long run - /merely/ having to modify every device driver implementing ioctls to assist in the remote translation. While it might seem unfeasible to modify every device driver in this class to support this behaviour, the kernel interfaces change frequently so perhaps this might indeed be possible.

Speaking of device numbers, I was surprised that Plan 9 has a similar notion. However, they are only useful with kernel resident device numbers. Does Plan 9 have some other mechanism that allow one to identify the class of device/file server it belongs to?

In most cases, a name is good enough, but sometimes its not.

And speaking of opaqueness, while Plan 9 might use portable data representation, some interfaces are perhaps unnecessarily opaque in a different way. Consider the uart ctl file with its encoded string of device attributes. If each attribute used a separate file, with meaningful names, the parameters of the interface, although unfortunately not their range of values, would be available. Given that it is not, some other form of automated description is desirable, ideally accessible from the file system itself rather than requiring use of a library. While we have learned (been forced) to live with files that are bags of bytes, I think it would be better not to repeat this with interfaces too.

Oh, and it would be better if the uart device was consistent with the files in net with their separate data and ctl files, if one is going to rely on conventions they should be consistent. Despite the other faults of ioctl there's no doubt where the control interface of a device is.

Andrew