* [9fans] wirespeed processing @ 10 Gb/s
@ 2011-06-28 20:55 Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-06-28 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Something like this would make a nice hack!

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/sigcomm-poster.pdf

Our framework, called netmap, maps packet buffers into the
process' memory space ...

One core at 1.33 GHz can send or receive packets at wire speed
on 10 Gbit/s links (14.88 Mpps), with very good scalability in
the number of cores and clock speed.

netmap is available on FreeBSD.

* Re: [9fans] wirespeed processing @ 10 Gb/s
@ 2011-06-28 22:22 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-06-28 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jun 28 16:56:34 EDT 2011, bakul@bitblocks.com wrote:
> Something like this would make a nice hack!
>
> http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/sigcomm-poster.pdf
>
> Our framework, called netmap, maps packet buffers into the
> process' memory space ...
>
> One core at 1.33 GHz can send or receive packets at wire speed
> on 10 Gbit/s links (14.88 Mpps), with very good scalability in
> the number of cores and clock speed.
>
> netmap is available on FreeBSD.

plan 9 already does wirespeed 2x10gbe "processing", if by
processing you mean disk i/o.  :-)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] wirespeed processing @ 10 Gb/s
@ 2011-06-28 22:41   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-06-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:22:51 EDT erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>  wrote:
> On Tue Jun 28 16:56:34 EDT 2011, bakul@bitblocks.com wrote:
> > Something like this would make a nice hack!
> >
> > http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/sigcomm-poster.pdf
> >
> > Our framework, called netmap, maps packet buffers into the
> > process' memory space ...
> >
> > One core at 1.33 GHz can send or receive packets at wire speed
> > on 10 Gbit/s links (14.88 Mpps), with very good scalability in
> > the number of cores and clock speed.
> >
> > netmap is available on FreeBSD.
>
> plan 9 already does wirespeed 2x10gbe "processing", if by
> processing you mean disk i/o.  :-)

By wirespeed the author means processing 14.48M pkts/sec, not
814K pps! AOE is a special case.

* Re: [9fans] wirespeed processing @ 10 Gb/s
@ 2011-06-28 22:59     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-06-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > netmap is available on FreeBSD.
> >
> > plan 9 already does wirespeed 2x10gbe "processing", if by
> > processing you mean disk i/o.  :-)
>
> By wirespeed the author means processing 14.48M pkts/sec, not
> 814K pps! AOE is a special case.

no.  you don't get to redefine the term just because aoe does
things well.

wirespeed is not a packet rate, it's a bitrate.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] wirespeed processing @ 10 Gb/s
@ 2011-06-28 23:08       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-06-28 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:59:52 EDT erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>  wrote:

> > > plan 9 already does wirespeed 2x10gbe "processing", if by
> > > processing you mean disk i/o.  :-)
> >
> > By wirespeed the author means processing 14.48M pkts/sec, not
> > 814K pps! AOE is a special case.

s/wirespeed/wirespeed processing/

> no.  you don't get to redefine the term just because aoe does
> things well.
>
> wirespeed is not a packet rate, it's a bitrate.

"wirespeed processing" is being able to handle any pkt size
for a given wire bit rate so the worst case is for the
smallest size pkts.

* Re: [9fans] wirespeed processing @ 10 Gb/s
@ 2011-06-29  0:29 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-06-29  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hmm. 10 Gbits/s. I should read the paper, but the thought occurs that
the last time we talked about wire speed of 10 Gb/s in my world it was
2002.

ron