* [9fans] Acme with accessibility
@ 2011-06-25 22:49 Mauricio CA
From: Mauricio CA @ 2011-06-25 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, all,

I would like to ask you for tips: suppose I want to write something like
acme editor, but aiming at being used by people with severe disabilities
like, say, Stephen Hawking. Such kind of disabilities mean input will come
from a few button pressing signals, used to enter input using some kind
of Huffman encoding. Do you have sugestions on what could I look at for
inspiration? When I say inspiration I don't mean existing applications
only, but interesting computer science theory that could be applied to
this problem.

(I'm asking at this list because acme is an example of good design of
an editor for programmers, so I could listen from opinions from people
who understand both the needs of programmers and how to make good use
of computer theory.)

Thanks for your thoughts,
Maurício

* Re: [9fans] Acme with accessibility
@ 2011-06-26  5:38 ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2011-06-26  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You might take a look at Dasher: http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

...and perhaps their "sister" project "opengazer."

Both have plenty of resources (code, papers) on design and
implementation, IIRC. And they're pretty cool.

--dho