Hello I'm glad plan9 works fine in a lot of virtual machines (thanks for it). And you can run plan9 on recent machines too, plan9 and 9atom have worked for me quite well with my Intel Core i7-920 computer. Also, we all like to rule the world with a couple of emails. I could email Mr. Carmack to port Doom IV to plan9, but that will not work, unfortunately XD. If you want a fix for the wiki, you know where's the source. That's the plan9 way afaict. If you want your change into the distribution...that's another story :) slds. gabi On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Jack Norton wrote: > Balwinder S Dheeman wrote: > >> On 06/05/2011 11:51 AM, Josh Marshall wrote: >> >>> I'm chugging through the resources, reading, and documentation. This >>> system acts differently from anything I've previously used, so I'm at a >>> loss at...everything. I visited the IRC channel and am working through >>> the .pdf and the main site. Is there anything else I should be looking >>> into? Also, the .pdf said that I should have a working plan9 install >>> available to practice, so I tried using vmplayer but the kernel panics. >>> I'm learning, but not well acquainted with kernel programming, >>> debugging, or anything else. Also, if this all seems kind of >>> incoherent, I'm sorry, its past 2am and I've been working on absorbing >>> info for over 4 hours. >>> >> >> Try http://werc.homelinux.net/hacks/nano9/ >> >> Hope that helps :) >> > > > Good lord. Between these things and '9front' I am missing much. I need to > get back on IRC. > Either that or you guys could consolidate all your personal 'werc' sites > into one Plan 9 'experimental stuff' wiki. It seems a bit ridiculous that > werc offers multi-user editing and comments, yet everyone and their mom has > their own werc site with a Plan 9 sub-page. Or better yet, resurrect the > 'ole webring concept with those silly links to traverse it :). Personally > I'd like to see work put into the Plan 9 wiki backend. I'd rather use it > than werc (which I do -- but I've only got a little placeholder page that > says "coming soon" -- and has for 6 months...). > As for 9front, it looks like fun. I say that even though the word 'fork' > scares me. > Unfortunately IRC requires free time behind the computer -- which I never > have. Boo hoo, I know... > Well that's my useless post for the day. > > As for the OP, I'm with Peter C. Install it native and forget all of this > other nonsense for now. You could probably find a good candidate PC in a > dumpster somewhere. Or a $70 atom board with a bit of memory could do you > just fine (the plain intel ones -- not those omg-ION graphics ones). I know > the NMO510 guy works with only one core (but it works). > > Cheers, > Jack > >