* [9fans] laserjets misery
@ 2011-05-31 12:11 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-05-31 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone managed to print to a network attached laserjet from plan9?

I have (I think) the correct /sys/lib/lp/devices line:

conv conversion pr_slp_61 - - gs!ljet4+nohead generic lpdspool lpd - - FIFO

but when I try I get garbage.

The device is a Sharp MX-4100 without postscript support,  so I am using PCL.

the docco claims it supports PCL6 and PCL5c. I thought the pcl4 generated by
ghostscript in ljet4 mode would be compatible but it appears not.

Anyone known about PCL, do I need a prelude and prologue on the file or do I need
to upgrade to the latest ghostscript drivers?

	"Please don't make me recompile ghostscript Mummy, I'am be good, honest..."

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] laserjets misery
@ 2011-05-31 13:03 ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2011-05-31 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dunno about Sharp printers.  For an HP inkjet here we have (thanks to Paurea)

bean	bycoffe bean	bean - gs!ljet4+HPJCL+nohead+1200dpi+duplex generic lpdspool lpd generic hp

We have no FIFO entries enywhere

	Sape

@ 2011-05-31 14:06 ` frank
From: frank @ 2011-05-31 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:11:17PM +0100, Steve Simon wrote:
> Anyone managed to print to a network attached laserjet from plan9?

I'm using an HP LaserJet 6L (hplj6l) connected to a Debian host
(chiron.galaxy) that runs cups which also listens for lpr/lpd requests
(man cups-lpd).

> I have (I think) the correct /sys/lib/lp/devices line:
>
> conv conversion pr_slp_61 - - gs!ljet4+nohead generic lpdspool lpd - - FIFO

hplj6l kelder chiron.galaxy hplj6l - gs!ljet4+nohead generic lpdspool lpd - -

Kind regards,

--
Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be

* Re: [9fans] laserjets misery
@ 2011-05-31 22:00   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2011-05-31 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

by the way, if you do recompile gs and add a newer
pcl output driver, you might find your print times go
way down.  i remember moving from one ljet to a newer
one (i think ljet4 to ljet5 but not sure) and being stunned
how much smaller the data going to the printer was.