From: Guilherme Lino <guih.lino@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Mousing is faster than typing but users do not believe it
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 20:23:49 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM, simon softnet <ph.softnet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some people's contribution to this discussion is really null and
> irritating..
> They go like "Pfff Apple did this for the customers! oh yeah, and by the
> way, the keyboard is faster in general"
> Well, at least apple has indeed made the effort to publish a research!
> Attracting customers or not, this doesn't mean apple's research is
> necessarily false.
> What do you base your arguments on?

if thats your contribute then your null and irritating

you just need to read the post and links on this post to understand, that
this is a non sense.

once upon the time i also liked to be with one hand on my lap and the other
playing with mouse, but i took the time to learn something different like
"KEEP YOUR DAM HANDS ON THE KEYBOARD!", and thats what I'm defending. i
still have a windows for gaming but my daily routine is on a terminal
(started with vim, and then arch linux, dwm, urxvt, zsh, vimperator) which
all i took the time to learn and configure. I'm with just almost with 8
months of this unix, vim, linux, command line , plain text, shortcuts thing
and every day i learn something new, a new shortcut that will make me even
faster, and I'm not going back :D and thats i subscribed this malign list,
cause i want to go deeper.

(I'm actually joining money together to buy a iMac xD so forget the
"HATER!!" part)

now if you ONLY excuse for an argument is talking to me about a research
made more than 20 years ago with AppleLink editor and MS-DOS word processor,
making some absurd affirmations like "taking two seconds to chose a
shortcut" (WTF?) (who were the tested subjects? togs mother?) , requested by
a company who is desperate to sell computers with a mouse. (ooohh but it was
a $50 million R&D) then go no further, the mouse is for you
if you are a person who use the PC to go to the facebook or make a school
paper work, then the mouse is for you!
seriously, i don't recommend that to my girlfriend, or to my friend who like
to edit movies or use blender,

now if you are in any informatics related business keyboard is the way
(i even do all my UML diagrams in text mode with
plantUML<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofooJgjdE0>,
you should check it out, its much more easy to concentrate on the problem
rather than the diagram appearance)

quote from there:
"Command-Key Illusion. Since users do experience the illusion that
keyboarding is faster, there is market pressure to supply them with
"shortcuts."—even when using "shortcuts" will actually slow them down. What
I generally recommend is supplying as many "shortcuts" as demanded by the
market—the real market, not the programmer in the cubicle next to you. "

clearly makes no sense, the market (majority of the users that usually buy
computers) don't even care about shortcuts, 70%(guessing here) computer
users don't care about shortcuts, maybe 30% don't know whats that, my
girlfriend don't.. ok.. maybe CTRL-c CTRL-V (but CTRL-x is totally obscure
to her)
i should read:
"As the market don't care about shortcuts, we give you the mouse, so you can
adapt and learn and start to use easily. so we can sell more
computers"(note: not fast or efficiency)

i used Fences on windows with a ton of shortcuts on my desktop, still not
fast or productive

my Firefox browser only have 1 bar, the status bar (vimperator extension
with the config (:set gui=none)), and i bet my browsing is faster than yours
every time i want to go back, bookmark, go down up.., open a address, do a
search, i just need to press one or two key,
no need to be always traveling with the mouse up there

people are lazy, thats why they prefer the mouse, but if you spend some time
learning to use command line, vim, emacs, and configuring shortcuts
everywhere, you wont be able to leave without them.

I'm not saying mouses sucks and should die! of course i use the mouse to for
daily tasks which i find more practical(like selecting text), now is the
mouse faster than the keyboard in a general daily routine? you cant do
nothing with  the mouse! therefore not faster...

"mouse is the devils way to keep you from productivity!"

(just used the mouse to copy a paragraph the rest was all keyboard)
(to long, did not read? xD)
(sorry for my English, I'm from Portugal)

cheers

--

Guilherme Lino