* [9fans] making emalloc a library function
@ 2004-03-07 11:32 Einar Karttunen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Einar Karttunen @ 2004-03-07 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Plan9 ML

Hello

Quite many programs define emalloc, which does the same thing. I was
thinking of ripping these out and replacing with a library.

I have two alternative routes. Either make libemalloc which contains
emalloc, estrdup and so on or add a flag which makes libc malloc behave
like emalloc.

The first way would give programs freedom, but library code would still
use raw malloc instead of the emalloc. The second solution would be
harder for programs wishing to use both emalloc and malloc (of course
this would be still possible), but it would be more general...
The changes would break no existing code in either case.
Should I go forward with either idea?

- Einar Karttunen