On Nov 11, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Uriel wrote: > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> > wrote: >> >> operations like these (symlink, readlink, lock, etc.) that only have >> significance at the extremities should not worry the transit relays. >> that was the reason for Text/Rext proposal. >> >> regardless, interpretation of the ops in a hetergeneous environment >> will be a problem. > > It is not a problem if the ops are Topen/Tread/Twrite (on an > alternative attach), as agreed at the first iwp9, I think this is a very nice idea. In fact that's what I'm trying to implement right now as part of my project to get around symlinks. The only drawback that I can see so far is an unnecessary walk on the parallel tree in cases where you need to actually *manipulate* a symlink (reading, etc. is not a problem -- that gets handled on the server and is fine for my purposes). I though the mantra around here was "out-of-band == should be on a separate channel". Thanks, Roman.