* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-05-28 11:52 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-05-28 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hot plug of disks kbs and mice should work fine as expected. It's been
tested

El 28/05/2009, a las 13:17, kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp escribió:

>> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Shaowei Wang (wsw) <wsw1wsw2@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> Is this news mean we can hotplug the usb mouse and keyboard?
>>>

>> yes.
>
> Theoretically, you are right.
> However, what does it mean for Plan 9?
> hotplug keyboard? for what?
> hotplug mouse? hmmm
>
> Thank you very muc nemo.
>
> Now I can use usb mouse on my shit motherboard, P5K-VM.
> Of course, it does recognize all the 8 root hubs.
> Another ohci machine, which I've been using
> by adding uhci pci board...☺
>
> I can enjoy very fast data transfer between a usb memory to real disk.
> This is very great advance to me.
>
> Thank you nemo, again.
>
> Kenji
>

> [/mail/box/nemo/msgs/200905/41068]

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-08 15:35 ` Pavel Klinkovsky
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2009-06-08 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I install the newest Plan9 image (2009-06-08) in my old IBM ThinkPad
T30.
I connected a USB mouse. But it works crazy (gliding just vertically,
randomly, no effect of buttons).

Can you someone help me? Thanks in advance.

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-08 15:45   ` erik quanstrom
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Jun  8 11:44:06 EDT 2009, pavel.klinkovsky@gmail.com wrote:
> I install the newest Plan9 image (2009-06-08) in my old IBM ThinkPad
> T30.
> I connected a USB mouse. But it works crazy (gliding just vertically,
> randomly, no effect of buttons).
>
> Can you someone help me? Thanks in advance.

did the mouse work before?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-08 15:50   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-06-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Can you send me (off list) the contents of /dev/usb/ctl ?

Also, it would help if you could run usb/usbd with debug
(see the man page or drop me a line) and send me the output
as well.

@ 2009-06-09  9:05   ` Pavel Klinkovsky
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2009-06-09  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> did the mouse work before?
I do not know, I used just touchpad...
I am going to try Linux on the same noteboot with the same mouse. I
will inform you.

The same mouse works without troubles in the other computer with
WinXP.

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-06-10 10:48   ` Pavel Klinkovsky
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2009-06-10 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am going to try Linux on the same noteboot with the same mouse. I
Works without troubles.

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-10 14:18     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-06-10 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I suspect that mouse requires using the report protocol
(most mice are fine with the boot protocol, which is what kb
uses).

I'll write a variant of the driver using the report protocol just to be
sure that's the problem, but It'll have to wait a few days.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Pavel

@ 2009-06-10 15:24     ` Pavel Klinkovsky
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2009-06-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'll write a variant of the driver using the report protocol just to be
> sure that's the problem, but It'll have to wait a few days.
No problem, touchpad could be (uncomfortably) used. ;-)

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-10 15:53       ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-06-10 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ok. In any case, if there's any other mouse that does not work.
Please, let me know.
I'm trying to get a mouse exactly like yours.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Pavel

@ 2009-06-09  0:54           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-09  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Didn't say impossible, I said tricky.

here's the code.  it's not hard at all.  the meat of
the code just is one line.  the rest is error checking.

a very similar script would turn all aoe devices into
sd devices via sdaoe, though i always end up doing
that by hand.

- erik

[-- Attachment #2: usbsd --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1017 bytes --]

#!/bin/rc
# turn usb disks into sd devices via sdloop(3)
rfork e
disk = ()
disks=()
name=()

fn picksd{
	p=`{awk '{print $1}' < /dev/sdctl}
	r=()
	for(i in u v w x y z)
		if(~ $#r 0 && ! ~ sd$i $p)
			r = $i
	echo $r
}

test -e /dev/usb || bind -a '#u' /dev || {
	echo no '#u/usb' >[1=2]
	exit nousb
}
test -e /dev/usbdctl || mount -a /srv/usb /dev || {
	echo cannot mount /srv/usb >[1=2]
	exit nousbd
}

switch($#*){
case 0
	;
case 1
	disks = $1
case 2
	disks = $1
	name = $2
case *
	echo usage: usbsd ' [disk [sdname]]' >[1=2]
	exit usage
}

if(~ $#disks 0){
	if(! test -e /dev/sdU*/data){
		echo no usb disks >[1=2]
		exit nodisk
	}
	disks = `{echo /dev/sdU*/data}
}

for(d in $disks){
	if(~ $d /dev/sdU*.[0-9]*/data && test -e $d){
		if(~ $#name 0)
			name=`{picksd u}
		if(~ $#name 0){
			echo no available devices >[2=1];
			exit nodev
		}
		echo config switch on spec $name type loop/$d >/dev/sdctl
	}
	if not
		echo $d does not exist >[2=1]
}
exit ''

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-08 19:03         ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2009-06-08 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-08 18:36       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-08 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-06-08 18:21     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2009-06-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Francisco J Ballesteros<nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
> I think someone managed to boot from usb, but I´m not sure.
> In any case, the change means that usb is ready at boot(8) time
> if usbd is compiled in the kernel. Booting from usb requires 9load

Las time I checked that worked for bios which where able to boot from USB drives
linearly addressed. I go the kernel to load, so with the usb at boot
time, all the
pieces are there.

@ 2009-06-08 18:17     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2009-06-08 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In principle you can boot from usb devices using "bios0" or
"sdB0" as boot methods; see 9load(8).  In practice, BIOS bugs
may get in the way, but it's worth trying.

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-06-08 18:06   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-06-08 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Matthias Bauer<plan9@weggla.franken.de> wrote:

>> [..]
>> I've updated on sources at least /386/9*load* (though they contain no
>> USB code), /386/9pc*, kernel sources, manual pages and a few scripts
>> in /rc/bin.  Tomorrow's CD image should incorporate all this.
>> [..]
>
> Many thanks to nemo!
> Does this mean that Plan9 can now boot from usb drives?
> That would be really useful.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Matthias

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-06-08 17:29 ` Matthias Bauer
From: Matthias Bauer @ 2009-06-08 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: nemo

@ 2009-05-28 11:14       ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2009-05-28 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Shaowei Wang (wsw) <wsw1wsw2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this news mean we can hotplug the usb mouse and keyboard?
>>

> yes.

Theoretically, you are right.
However, what does it mean for Plan 9?
hotplug keyboard?   for what?
hotplug mouse?  hmmm

Thank you very muc nemo.

Now I can use usb mouse on my shit motherboard, P5K-VM.
Of course, it does recognize all the 8 root hubs.
Another ohci machine, which I've been using
by adding uhci pci board...☺

I can enjoy very fast data transfer between a usb memory to real disk.
This is very great advance to me.

Thank you nemo, again.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-28  9:15 ` Balwinder S Dheeman
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2009-05-28  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks a lot :)

I shall be able to boot plan9 CD off of USB 2.0 DVD-WR drive and install
the same on a SATA/EHCI HDD.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman        Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe)        Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-05-28  6:37     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2009-05-28  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-05-28  3:52   ` Shaowei Wang (wsw)
From: Shaowei Wang (wsw) @ 2009-05-28  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 5:43 AM, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:37 PM, <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
>
>> I've just pushed out to sources a new USB implementation, courtesy of
>> nemo, who debugged and repaired our old UHCI and OHCI drivers, wrote a
>> new EHCI driver for USB 2, converted the user-mode drivers in /bin/usb
>> and tested it all, among other things.  Thank you, nemo.
>>

> Yes thank you Nemo!  That's awesome stuff.
>

>> I've updated on sources at least /386/9*load* (though they contain no
>> USB code), /386/9pc*, kernel sources, manual pages and a few scripts
>> in /rc/bin.  Tomorrow's CD image should incorporate all this.
>>

> Thank you Geoff!  :-)
>

>> devusb has a new interface, so it is named #u, to distinguish it from
>> the old one, #U.  If usbd is compiled into /boot, /boot/boot will run
>> usbd at start up, thus permitting the use of USB keyboards, mice,
>> disks, etc. at boot time.
>

> That's awesome....

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-26 21:43 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-05-26 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: nemo

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:37 PM, <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> I've just pushed out to sources a new USB implementation, courtesy of
> nemo, who debugged and repaired our old UHCI and OHCI drivers, wrote a
> new EHCI driver for USB 2, converted the user-mode drivers in /bin/usb
> and tested it all, among other things.  Thank you, nemo.

Yes thank you Nemo!  That's awesome stuff.

> I've updated on sources at least /386/9*load* (though they contain no
> USB code), /386/9pc*, kernel sources, manual pages and a few scripts
> in /rc/bin.  Tomorrow's CD image should incorporate all this.

Thank you Geoff!  :-)

> devusb has a new interface, so it is named #u, to distinguish it from
> the old one, #U.  If usbd is compiled into /boot, /boot/boot will run
> usbd at start up, thus permitting the use of USB keyboards, mice,
> disks, etc. at boot time.

That's awesome....

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-26 21:17 ` jt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jt @ 2009-05-26 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear Geoff,

   This is great news!  I'm new to plan 9 and am now finishing the
port for the OLPC XO.  I've read the manual pages on "How to
Contribute."  It states I should ask for a space from you.  What does
that entail?  I hope everything is well.  Plan9 has made me ecstatic
about OS again!  I find myself creating bsd patches during the day and
wondering how things could be done differently.  Now I see :)

thanks so much

-jt

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM,  <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> I've just pushed out to sources a new USB implementation, courtesy of
> nemo, who debugged and repaired our old UHCI and OHCI drivers, wrote a
> new EHCI driver for USB 2, converted the user-mode drivers in /bin/usb
> and tested it all, among other things.  Thank you, nemo.
>
> I've updated on sources at least /386/9*load* (though they contain no
> USB code), /386/9pc*, kernel sources, manual pages and a few scripts
> in /rc/bin.  Tomorrow's CD image should incorporate all this.
>
> devusb has a new interface, so it is named #u, to distinguish it from
> the old one, #U.  If usbd is compiled into /boot, /boot/boot will run
> usbd at start up, thus permitting the use of USB keyboards, mice,
> disks, etc. at boot time.

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-05-26 20:56 ` Mathieu L.
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mathieu L. @ 2009-05-26 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Brilliant, that will come in handy.
Thanks a lot.

Mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4017 bytes --]

From: geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@9fans.net, nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es
Subject: [9fans] new usb implementation
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:37:39 -0400

@ 2009-05-26 20:42   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-05-26 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks a lot!
Ruda

2009/5/26 Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com>:
> 2009/5/26  <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com>:
>> I've just pushed out to sources a new USB implementation, courtesy of
>> nemo, who debugged and repaired our old UHCI and OHCI drivers, wrote a
>> new EHCI driver for USB 2, converted the user-mode drivers in /bin/usb
>> and tested it all, among other things.  Thank you, nemo.
>>
>> I've updated on sources at least /386/9*load* (though they contain no
>> USB code), /386/9pc*, kernel sources, manual pages and a few scripts
>> in /rc/bin.  Tomorrow's CD image should incorporate all this.
>>
>> devusb has a new interface, so it is named #u, to distinguish it from
>> the old one, #U.  If usbd is compiled into /boot, /boot/boot will run
>> usbd at start up, thus permitting the use of USB keyboards, mice,
>> disks, etc. at boot time.
>
> Sweet! Thanks, guys!

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-05-26 20:41 ` Steve Simon
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-05-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is great news, kudos to all involved.

now, where did I put that memory stick...

-Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2258 bytes --]

From: geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@9fans.net, nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:37:39 -0400

I've just pushed out to sources a new USB implementation, courtesy of
nemo, who debugged and repaired our old UHCI and OHCI drivers, wrote a
new EHCI driver for USB 2, converted the user-mode drivers in /bin/usb
and tested it all, among other things.  Thank you, nemo.

I've updated on sources at least /386/9*load* (though they contain no
USB code), /386/9pc*, kernel sources, manual pages and a few scripts
in /rc/bin.  Tomorrow's CD image should incorporate all this.

devusb has a new interface, so it is named #u, to distinguish it from
the old one, #U.  If usbd is compiled into /boot, /boot/boot will run
usbd at start up, thus permitting the use of USB keyboards, mice,
disks, etc. at boot time.

* Re: [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-05-26 20:40 ` Devon H. O'Dell
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-05-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/5/26  <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com>:
> I've just pushed out to sources a new USB implementation, courtesy of
> nemo, who debugged and repaired our old UHCI and OHCI drivers, wrote a
> new EHCI driver for USB 2, converted the user-mode drivers in /bin/usb
> and tested it all, among other things.  Thank you, nemo.
>
> I've updated on sources at least /386/9*load* (though they contain no
> USB code), /386/9pc*, kernel sources, manual pages and a few scripts
> in /rc/bin.  Tomorrow's CD image should incorporate all this.
>
> devusb has a new interface, so it is named #u, to distinguish it from
> the old one, #U.  If usbd is compiled into /boot, /boot/boot will run
> usbd at start up, thus permitting the use of USB keyboards, mice,
> disks, etc. at boot time.

Sweet! Thanks, guys!

* [9fans] new usb implementation
@ 2009-05-26 20:37 geoff