* [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?
@ 2008-10-20 16:43 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-10-20 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
it.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?
@ 2008-10-20 16:58 ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2008-10-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
> written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
> completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
> it.

I use it as my X WM. So far I've been pretty satisfied with it.  By
default you can't tweak the size of a window within a column of
mutliple windows, but there is an extension in the contrib package
which will do this.  It works well with dual monitors.

I've been planning to add some code to the config (or an extension) to
allow certain things to be driven by the mouse.  I haven't done this
yet but it appears doable.

* Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?
@ 2008-11-09 16:58 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-11-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
> written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
> completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
> it.

 Perhaps more relevant is wmii, which is also a tiling window manager
for X somewhat resembling acme. However as far as I'm concerned wmii
has one up on xmonad since it serves a 9p interface. :)
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?
@ 2008-11-09 17:10   ` Matt Moore
From: Matt Moore @ 2008-11-09 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM, sqweek <sqweek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM, andrey mirtchovski
> <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
>> written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
>> completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
>> it.

I've played around with it a bit.  It's quite nice really all in.  I
prefer using the keyboard where possible, so I really like the fact
that it's all keyboard driven.

--
Matthew R Moore

* Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?
@ 2008-11-09 20:14   ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2008-11-09 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Not very relevant but anyway: there are also Ion/Ion2 and pwm in the
category of completely keyboard-controllable tiling window managers, if you
are interested. Ion/Ion2 is Lua scriptable. Xmonad is rather young and the
screenshots seemed to me to mimic Ion/Ion2 which in turn is based on
pwm--both very popular.

But if someone wants "simple, stable, and fast" why should they not use GNU
screen? What is X good for except eye candy and graphical web browsers ;-?

--On Monday, November 10, 2008 1:58 AM +0900 sqweek <sqweek@gmail.com>

@ 2008-11-09 20:33     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-11-09 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs