* [9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
@ 2008-11-19 16:40 andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-11-19 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest
they be cast into the world of LoseThos:

http://www.losethos.com/

from the website:

"The LoseThos IBM PC Operating System
x86_64, open source, free, public domain
[...]
PROMISES:
1) LoseThos will always run everything in kernel mode.  There is no
user mode.  All programs will have full
access to memory, I/O ports, instructions, etc."

* Re: [9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
@ 2008-11-19 16:55 ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2008-11-19 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We just need some rounded edges.
http://www.creativeandlive.com/article_images/0000/1073/siggi.jpg

@ 2008-11-19 18:58 ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2008-11-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:40 AM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest
> they be cast into the world of LoseThos:
>
> http://www.losethos.com/

That is amazing.

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/

* Re: [9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
@ 2008-11-19 19:13 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2008-11-19 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I always thought 8 1/2, rio, acme and friends were more, uh, Amish UIs
than ugly UIs, but to each his or her own.

-J

* Re: [9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
@ 2008-11-19 19:41   ` John Waters
From: John Waters @ 2008-11-19 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't think that there is a darn thing wrong with rio, its the Audi of GUIs

@ 2008-11-19 20:07     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-11-19 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
@ 2008-11-19 20:25       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-11-19 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

d00dz, you're getting too caught-up in this whole gui thing and
failing to see the forest for the tree. take a look around on that
site. watch one or two of the demo videos, check the documentation
out...

i guarantee you, you've never seen anything like this before (except
for the part where grep outputs direct line addresses which can
immediately be plumbed into the editor)

* Re: [9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
@ 2008-11-19 20:32         ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-11-19 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs