* Screen rotation on the Raspberry Pi 4?
@ 2020-10-09  4:40 a
From: a @ 2020-10-09  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It looks like graphics on the Pi 4 have changed more than I'd
realized. As far as I can tell, the "legacy" driver (what's
used on the 0-3) no longer offers screen rotation via the
display_rotate directive in config.txt.

Does anyone have rotation working on the Pi 4? If so, how?

Relatedly, anyone tried porting the bitsy's software rotation?
It's a lot more pixels to move around, but the cpu's also
worlds faster, so...?

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Screen rotation on the Raspberry Pi 4?
@ 2020-10-09  5:04 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2020-10-09  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Oct 8, 2020, at 9:40 PM, a@9srv.net wrote:

> It looks like graphics on the Pi 4 have changed more than I'd
> realized. As far as I can tell, the "legacy" driver (what's
> used on the 0-3) no longer offers screen rotation via the
> display_rotate directive in config.txt.
>
> Does anyone have rotation working on the Pi 4? If so, how?

Have you tried display_hdmi_rotate?

* Re: [9fans] Screen rotation on the Raspberry Pi 4?
@ 2020-10-09 17:36   ` a
From: a @ 2020-10-09 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes; no difference.

* Re: [9fans] Screen rotation on the Raspberry Pi 4?
@ 2020-10-09 19:19     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2020-10-09 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Oct 9, 2020, at 10:36 AM, a@9srv.net wrote:

> Yes; no difference.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/blob/master/configuration/display_rotation.md

uses the word "default" for graphics drivers so I was hoping it meant
there was a choice! One more thing to try (just in case there is
indeed a real choice) is to put the command under a conditional filter:

[HDMI:0]
  hdmi_group=2	// <== just an example
  display_hdmi_rotate=..

Though I very much doubt this will work. Your best bet is to ask on their forum.

* Re: [9fans] Screen rotation on the Raspberry Pi 4?
@ 2020-10-10  4:27       ` a
From: a @ 2020-10-10  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks, but I don't think the issues is that a different way of
getting that directive working is the issue; that family of
directives seems to be no longer supported. There are a bunch
of posts for various linux systems about this, as well; they
now rely on xrandr to do the job. I'm more asking if anyone
has done anything with the fancy new graphics system the 4
includes, or done anything like generalizing the rotation bits
that were included in the bitsy port (which on a first pass of
reading, doesn't look too hard, but we know how that goes).

* Re: [9fans] Screen rotation on the Raspberry Pi 4?
@ 2020-10-10  6:56         ` Digby R.S. Tarvin
From: Digby R.S. Tarvin @ 2020-10-10  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans