mmmm, I am confused, are you talking of replacing the interface to dns(1)? I had no real plan, maybe to just make mDNS accumulate broadcast and multicast mDNS messages into a virtual file in /lib/ndb format. more importantly I really need a publish system, which would be just based off /lib/ndb/local, just a static spec. my target is porting shairport, and maybe Dnla at a later date. -Steve > On 2 Jan 2016, at 03:42, erik quanstrom wrote: > >> On Fri Jan 1 19:32:25 PST 2016, marc@boschma.cx wrote: >> >>> On 2 Jan 2016, at 7:05 am, Steve Simon wrote: >>> anyone done any work to implement mDNS / bonjour on plan9? >> >> No, but I have an interest; just starting out with Plan9 :) >> >>> my rough plan is to write a file server which generates /lib/ndb/mdns >>> which can be included into your /lib/ndb/local. >>> >>> I fear the biggest hassle is the clash of UDP port use may mean >>> mDNS must become part of dns(1) rather than a separate file server. >> >> Shouldn’t dns(1) only bind to unicast UDP port and thus mDNS could bind to the multicast UDP port? >> >> Are you only considering resolution or also publishing services? > > it would make sense to me to make a dnsudp request file server that manages requests, and > fork (ha!) that task off to it. this file server would not care if it's querying normal dns, > or mdns. > > - erik