* [9fans] dp9ik port
@ 2021-09-29 22:08 Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2021-09-29 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello all,

I wanted to check back in about the continuing saga to port a dp9ik
patch upstream.

where I believe we left off in that discussion, there was advice to
make a roadmap, involving some kinds of software development
techniques I don't understand at all, to be completely honest... I
have tried to keep after that a bit and try to figure out a roadmap
based on what I have done before and what it would take to do this.

before I ever started on this project at all, I had looked into dp9ik
before to re-implement it in javascript for another project, so I do
know a little about the login process and how dp9ik works as a
pre-shared key authenticator for an encrypted connection. (not the
math behind that though! just ported what was necessary to javascript)

I started doing the same thing kinda, just back-porting stuff to send
a patch upstream. it rapidly started becoming as much of a mess as my
efforts to port to javascript, what was only C to C! I'm not a
professional here at all...

I did note it seemed helpful to have both types of plan 9 systems and
both types of drawterm because of slight differences in the keyboard
input

thanks everyone!

* Re: [9fans] dp9ik port
@ 2021-09-30 10:24 ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2021-09-30 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k via 9fans

As it is a 9front specific question, you might consider posting to the 9front mailing list.

Sincerely,
Vic

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, at 07:08, Eli Cohen wrote:
> hello all,
>
> I wanted to check back in about the continuing saga to port a dp9ik
> patch upstream.
>
> where I believe we left off in that discussion, there was advice to
> make a roadmap, involving some kinds of software development
> techniques I don't understand at all, to be completely honest... I
> have tried to keep after that a bit and try to figure out a roadmap
> based on what I have done before and what it would take to do this.
>
> before I ever started on this project at all, I had looked into dp9ik
> before to re-implement it in javascript for another project, so I do
> know a little about the login process and how dp9ik works as a
> pre-shared key authenticator for an encrypted connection. (not the
> math behind that though! just ported what was necessary to javascript)
>
> I started doing the same thing kinda, just back-porting stuff to send
> a patch upstream. it rapidly started becoming as much of a mess as my
> efforts to port to javascript, what was only C to C! I'm not a
> professional here at all...
>
> I did note it seemed helpful to have both types of plan 9 systems and
> both types of drawterm because of slight differences in the keyboard
> input
>
> thanks everyone!

* Re: [9fans] dp9ik port
@ 2021-09-30 12:17   ` Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2021-09-30 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 30/09/2021, vic.thacker@fastmail.fm <vic.thacker@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> As it is a 9front specific question, you might consider posting to the
> 9front mailing list.

No, he's talking about
https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tc82939f1fda0e479-M59dae010f6c9ef6b52216a94/patches-from-9front