Le sam. 29 août 2020 à 23:21, Lucas Francesco a écrit : > >As another historical note, for a number of years (2006 to 2009 iirc) > Plan 9 reached the peak of 3 regular users in Brazil. Others came and went, > but those 3 are responsible for at least abaco, the initial python port, > and the initial work into what is now the 9front bootloader. > > Also another note: from what I know fgb ( as you mention Abaco and he > is the creator) Is argentinian, and Argentina isn't Brazillian > territory, yet. I know "responsible" can have a different > connotation/implication than creator, so i'd love to hear some > clarification if there's a backstory though. > Fgb is indeed Argentinian, but speaks perfect Portuguese and lived for a number of years in Brazil. Also, at least for a part of the timespan I mentioned he lived in Brazil (we even lived in the same street for a month!) That's why I considered him as one of the regular users in Brazil. I have no idea about the current 9front bootloader, and would love to > hear notes about who did it, thanks to bringing it to light. > I am the one who did the early work on it. The ideas have been presented in http://4e.iwp9.org/papers/9null.pdf. Lucas > > Em sáb., 29 de ago. de 2020 às 16:55, Iruatã Souza > escreveu: > > > > Le sam. 29 août 2020 à 19:26, Leonardo a > écrit : > >> > >> Cool! > >> > >> I want to make a Plan 9 distro aimed at brazilians: I'm at the > beginning of this journey. My plan is to translate all the documentation > (articles and man pages), try to make the system more user friendly (not > for hackers but for common people) and also work in ordinary software like > a modern browser, a word processor, spreadsheet software, a kind of > powerpoint etc. > >> > > > > As another historical note, for a number of years (2006 to 2009 iirc) > Plan 9 reached the peak of 3 regular users in Brazil. Others came and went, > but those 3 are responsible for at least abaco, the initial python port, > and the initial work into what is now the 9front bootloader. > > > > So, Leonardo, welcome aboard :) > > > > Besides translation, what are the Brazilian-specific needs you are > trying to address? > > I highly recommend you search the list for other projects similar to > yours. > > > > Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in the journey! > > > > iru > > > >> > >> I am studying Plan 9 and I am totally in love with it: read files, > write to files and again: read files, write to files. And what else do you > need to do? Little or nothing: things are really simple. The NSA invented > SELinux (mandatory access control) because it saw that, from a security > point of view, the idea of discretionary access control did not provide > much. Okay, it's an idea and it works. But Plan 9, before, had introduced > the idea of namespace which is, by the way, a much simpler and smarter > idea: each process can have its own restricted view of the universe of > files. I really don't understand why Plan 9 has not been adopted. Legacy > base? > > > > 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options > Permalink > > ------------------------------------------ > 9fans: 9fans > Permalink: > https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T46e6d1465ae13031-M74c87e08e3038792f2004ac9 > Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription >