A simple data grid using the Inferno operating system Brian Hancock Library Hi Tech ISSN: 0737-8831 On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 3:33 PM wrote: > i have been learning plan 9 for about a week now through a 9front install > on a spare laptop. i’m really falling for it, especially as someone who > loves shell and unix. i’m here to get some advisement on what my best > options would be for making a plan 9 grid, as a university student. i want > to have a server for my documents, ebooks, music, and images, as well as a > persistent IRC client and maybe even a mail server. most importantly, i > want to be able to access the grid remotely: from my laptop in class for > example (same network) and maybe down the line from anywhere, over > internet. there are a number of things in the way of that, the first being > my dorm room does not have an ethernet outlet. i think mine is the only one > on my floor that doesn’t. second, my building loses power frequently, which > is not ideal for hosting servers; power aside, it would still lose internet > connection. the third problem is less adverse, but the network requires > devices to be authenticated to get online. i get around this by > authenticating on a dummy computer with a mac address spoofer.i have no > idea if i could easily connect to local IP’s on the network, but i doubt > it. so that would make it much more difficult/inconvenient to host on > campus. also, the school explicitly forbids hosting servers on the school > network. > does anyone see a favorable way to set up a plan 9 grid, either on campus > or an alternative? the biggest hurdle is definitely getting the grid on the > university network where it can be connected to locally, or getting it out > of the network and online. also i know the sdf plan 9 bootcamp just ended, > and i’m aware of 9gridchan, but i don’t know if they’re really going to be > useful for my demands. those two communities seem more oriented towards > being an introduction to plan 9 and less towards using it or ‘switching’ to > it. plus i don’t want to dump files onto someone else’s drives. > anyways, thank you for your time reading this, if you need me to check x > by doing y as the means of finding a solution, i’m happy to do so. > *9fans * / 9fans / see discussions > + participants > + delivery options > Permalink > > ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T75d22acfa474b209-M82b3639b71ae6ce612d7df31 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription