On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM, wrote: > // If you are working on a project, edit some files, and then > // perform a mk, if files you haven't changed get built, I for > // one would constantly question myself, about whether or > // not I changed that file. It would make things confusing. > > It's confusing because it doesn't match your expectations, > but that's just as much because you're misunderstanding > the intent of the tool. mk is not a tool for checking for > changes, it is a tool for ensuring things are up to date. It > just isn't designed to provide what you're looking for. That > isn't to say that what you're looking for is unreasonable, > but mk is not the tool to provide it. > > As an aside, I'd suggest learning to simply not worry about > it. Internalize the fact that mk will sometimes rebuild things > that don't strictly need it, but will ensure that things are up > to date, and you'll have an easier time of it. > > // I for one favor practical usefulness over theoretical > // correctness. > > You have not demonstrated anything that significantly > impacts mk's practical usefullness. The fact that mk will, in > some cases, rebuild things which don't need it doesn't > significantly impact its utility for its intended purpose. > > In Plan 9, the heirarchy of values is different from other > systems. Correctness (theoretical or otherwise) and > elegance come above utility. That's not to say there are > no tradeoffs in the system, but if you're going to give up > even a little bit of correctness or elegance (environment > variables?!?), you'd best be prepared to demonstrate a > rather substantial utility gain. Given how much use this > community has gotten out of mk over the past ~27 > years, I think it's safe to say we're not sold. > > Anthony > > > What I am beginning to understand from comments like this is that there is a "club Plan-9". Everything ever done by the originators of "club Plan-9" is correct, period. No mater what exceptions, special cases, or good new ideas occur, they are wrong and we will find some way of rationalizing "club Plan-9". Anyone can join "club Plan-9" if you buy into that assumption. The main purpose of Plan-9 forks (with some exceptions) is to port to new hardware. Messing with the premise of "club Plan-9" is significantly frowned upon and attacked. Just a newbie's (with 35 years experience) perception. Blake