Thanks. I freshly formatted the drive with a DOS partition and put some files on it for testing. It reads fine on another machine. When I issued your command I got: part dos 63 31301613 Also, where is a good place to read about formatting, mounting, accessing, flushing, and unmounting? Thanks. On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM, wrote: > looks like theres no dos partition. there might be a problem > reading the drive or there might not be a dos partition there. > run the following command: > > disk/fdisk -p /dev/sdU6.0/data > > that should print something like: > > part dos 31 4030031 > > -- > cinap > >