In response to both of you: On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Blake McBride wrote: > ... > > I remain confident that there is a thought out, reasonable algorithm > employed by mk that I am yet ignorant of. > > Blake > > If you could point me in the right direction, I'd surely appreciate it. On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Bakul Shah wrote: > On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:28:21 CST Blake McBride wrote: > > > > I'd be a better judge if I understood the purposeful, thought out reason > > behind the problems I am experiencing - assuming there is one. "That's > > just the way it works" or "we do it differently because we are not unix" > > are stupid as hell arguments. > > "That's just the way it works" is exactly the right attitude > to take when you are learning a new language or entering a new > culture! Expecting the new language/culture/world to be better > or similar to the old will lead to a lot of frustration and > slow you down quite a bit. So leave your value judgements at > the door and just try to understand things *as they are*. > > > I remain confident that there is a thought out, reasonable algorithm > > employed by mk that I am yet ignorant of. > > Tom Knight and the Lisp Machine > > A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by > turning the power off and on. > > Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: > You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no > understanding of what is going wrong. > > Knight turned the machine off and on. > > The machine worked. > >