On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > I think this is caused because the time slice is too short and the system > > can't tell the build times apart. Even though main clearly came after > main.8 > > the system sees them as the same time. Of course this can cause mk to > > dothe link again unnecessarily if > > mk is called again. This is what is happening to me. Each time I mk it > > builds less. > > > > Perhaps this is a problem with 9port under VMware. Perhaps, in certain > > environments, the time slices are too big. > > > > Any experience or thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated. > > you are correct. this is all about time resolution. plan 9 > times are recorded in 1s resolution, and unless you have a very slow > processor, or a very big program, building & linking a program can take > less than 1s. > > - erik > > So, I think you are saying, that for pieces in a mkfile that take less than 1s to build it is possible for them to be build again, unnecessarily, when mk is run again. This is normal and just the way it is. Is that correct? Thanks!