Thanks for the input. I am making an increased effort to search before asking. I intuitively sense that Plan 9 has something significant to offer based on the little I know. The actual mechanics have been a challenge for me. Constructive feedback is deeply appreciated. On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Rubén Berenguel wrote: > I somewhat agree that some of the answers you are getting have somewhat > been (sometimes, not all, and not constantly) been insulting. But a year or > so ago I was also a Plan9 newbie, and I just read the manuals when I didn't > know how to do something. I followed some long-ago-read advice of first > smashing my head against the keyboard before asking the "online guru." And > by no means I'm an expert in systems programming, other *nixes or anything > beside a small branch of mathematics (and this is fading, since I'm no > longer actively researching) and a lot of stuff used in SEO and related > areas by constant daily use at work. > > I have probably read acme(1) and acme(4) more than 70 times in the past > year, and probably double that for plumb and plumber (in all of their > sections.) And there are still a lot of things I don't understand when > interacting with them, just the other day dove into acme's source to answer > a question in #plan9 (about what the Abort command does.) > > Ruben > > > On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Blake McBride wrote: > >> Documentation is always clear to people who already know the material but >> use the documentation as a reminder. It is difficult for a newbie to >> differentiate out-of-date material, branch specific material, and valid >> documentation. I am providing feedback from a newbie's perspective. You >> can either take advantage of some of the feedback to make it easier for a >> newbie (that cannot reason) thus increasing the number of users, or you can >> insult them until they leave. I apologize for not being as smart as you. >> >> >> >> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote: >> >>> Quoting Blake McBride : >>> >>> Or perhaps: >>>> >>>> echo newuser USER-NAME >>/srv/cwfs.cmd >>>> >>>> replace USER-NAME with the new user's name. If most commands are in >>>> lowercase, it might make sense to use uppercase names as things that >>>> need >>>> to be specified. >>>> >>> >>> Or perhaps we use the documentation as a way to weed out people who >>> cannot >>> reason. >>> >>> khm >>> >>> >>> >> >