Really great work. Thanks for putting in the time to make this possible. G. On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 2:07 PM wrote: > We are thrilled to announce that Nokia has transferred the copyright of > Plan 9 to the Plan 9 Foundation. This transfer applies to all of the > Plan 9 from Bell Labs code, from the earliest days through their final > release. > > The most exciting immediate effect of this is that the Plan 9 Foundation > is making the historical 1st through 4th editions of Plan 9 available > under the terms of the MIT license. These are the releases as they > existed at the time, with minimal changes to reflect the above. > > 1st and 2nd edition were never released as open source software, and > both (but especially 1st edition) were only available to a very small > number of people. 3rd and 4th were previously available as open source, > but under a license which was problematic for some people (especially > the 3rd edition). We think making these available under the MIT license > is something that's going to be a significant benefit for all projects > using Plan 9 code. While this doesn't automatically change the license > on any downstream projects, and you're welcome to keep using the LPL if > you like, you now have the option of switching to MIT, which we think > most everyone will find preferable. > > Obviously, for folks in the Plan 9 community, there isn't a way to say > "thank you" to Bell Labs, and its various parent organizations, that's > really adequate. None of us would be talking about any of this if it > weren't for the work done there for decades. All of us here at the Plan > 9 Foundation express our sincerest thanks to the team at Nokia who made > this possible, the Plan 9 alumni who supported the effort, and the Plan > 9 community who have kept kernels booting and the userland useful. > > The historical releases are available right now at: > https://p9f.org/dl/ > > You can read Nokia's press release on the transfer here: > > https://www.bell-labs.com/institute/blog/plan-9-bell-labs-cyberspace/ > > Thank you for your time, > Anthony Sorace > Plan 9 Foundation -- - curiosity sKilled the cat ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tf20bce89ef96d4b6-M7a43dca2d2e65eedc4c64485 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription