From: Gorka Guardiola <paurea@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9 iso image cont.
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 01:19:01 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Terry Wendt
<silicon.penguin67@gmail.com>wrote:

> K3b actually said 721.7 GB. As in Gigabytes.

Yes, 720GB/360MB is 2K. The size complains are fixed by my patch.
I can't generate an image now, but that problem should be fixed for the
future.
In any case, I don't think it affects the images you burnt with brasero at
least.

> So, I've downloaded, burned, and tried to install the following iso images:
>
> 9front-2688.28a9914426a3.iso (I used Brasero to burn the cd, no size
> complaints)
> +9atom.iso
> 9atom.iso
> 9atom.nboot.iso
> plan9.iso
>
> None actually booted, but some got farther then others.
>
> Results:
>
> plan9.iso - "PBSR...EI" <---- as far as it got and froze

This is an error reported by the bios. This does not have to do with the
other error. This has to do with something bad happening when the BIOS
is accessing the drive. My guess is the BIOS is buggy, the cd is wrong
(physically)
or the reader is wrong, but it may be some bug interacting with the
hardware.

> 9front.iso

I don't know much about about 9atom or 9front, but they are quite different
from
plan9 in the way it boots. Other people are more qualified than me to answer
questions about both.

> I burned all the iso images with K3b, with the exception of 9front. I
> used brasero for that and brasero did not complain about file size and
> volume size not matching.  However, when I open 9front up in K3b, it
> does complain that the filesize is 530.9 MiB, while the volume size is
> reported as 1 TiB.

This is again 1TB/530MB -> 2K, so mkisofs is the most probable culprit,
but again, this should not affect the booting.

> Gorka - The reason I asked about whether or not I should be unzipping
> the iso is the plan9 install instruction have a line thus:
> boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
> I realize that's probably a floppy sized gzipped boot image on the cd,

This is the compressed kernel inside the image.

> Anyway, next steps?

 I would recommend either a virtual machine like Bakul says or, if possible
change the CD drive. You could try also booting from USB, I don't know
if there are any usb images laying around...

G.