From: cherry <lunaria21@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Loongson port, and 64 bit MIPS
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 14:16:13 -0400	[thread overview]

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 1:28 AM,  <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>> Not yet. I am trying to get the hard drive up on the Yeeloong. Haven't
>> looked at wifi. And USB will be the hard part for me... Hopefully it
>> will be all supported.
>
> I need to ask: VGA?  I'll come back to that when you respond.
The laptop screen works well. Did you mean the VGA port connecting an
external monitor? It also works for me. The resolution remains at
1024x600, so it only occupies the upper part of a 4:3 monitor. Linux
that comes with the machine does a similar thing. I haven't done
anything for adjusting the resolution (don't know whether it is
possible even). What problem did you have with the display?

> USB you should probably adopt from 9pi rather than the Bell Labs
> distribution (there seems no avoiding the need to have 9pi, 9atom and
> 9front at one's fingertips, which is another important issue right
> now).  Miller has done a lot of good work in that direction (and
> Bluetooth, too).
Thanks. Even the usb seem to be different, I did learn a lot from 9pi kernel.

> ATA ought to be a walk in the park, but Erik Quanstrom would be the
> authority (outside of Bell Labs) on that.
The hard drive seem to work, by just enabling sd in the configuration
file (uncommenting sd in dev, and sdata in misc) and using generic ide
driver of 2E. With ext2srv I can read/write linux partition. I didn't
do much test though, nor looked into any detail. The disk seem to vary
even the machines are all 8089A. Mine is a 2GB SSD, I guess yours not,
so I am not sure it will apply on your machine. Experiments are
welcomed (be sure to back up ahead).

- cherry